Catskill winter camping suggestions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparkdog

Reaction score
I am planning a Boy Scout outing in a couple weeks (during deer season). Any suggestions for a camping spot close enough to haul wood too not populated by hunters?

Sparkdog said:
I am planning a Boy Scout outing in a couple weeks (during deer season). Any suggestions for a camping spot close enough to haul wood too not populated by hunters?
I do not not know if hunters use it, but there is a lean to here that is about 1 mile from the road. The only problem with this one is that the spring on the map is on Private Property! :eek:

There is another one very close to the road over that way, but I'd have to get my wife to show me where it is on a map. Let me know if you are interested.

North/South lake campground should be closed already if you are thinking about car camping... I doubt NY will like you camping at closed campsites, especially the most popular one there and as a group too.

Jay

suggestion

I am not sure what you expect from your Catskill's experience or how old the scouts are....but

one of my favorites spots is the Terrance Mountain L/T. There is some up hill and then some down hill to get to it from the Woodland Valley Campground (closed at this time of the year). It is a rugged spot- water may not be available, but there is a tiny spring and usually it is running in the fall and spring. Plenty of room to set up tents and the leanto has a fire place and an out-house

The area is peaceful, great bird watching and interesting views from the open ledges on the yellow trail as you drop. You will be in a good position to go up the Wittenberg, if you want (and not enough can be said of the views from that peak).

As to hunters- who knows where they will turn up- but I'd say the further up and away from trailheads and private property the better

Latest posts