Catskills on Friday, 9/9

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr_wu002

Reaction score
I have off on Friday and I'm most likely heading to the Catskills. I'm planning on doing parts of Devil's Path but I guess if someone wants to join me we could do all of it.

-Dr. Wu

Dr Wu, ack, I have friday off, but I told my friend I would go to Harriman and do the 20+ mile SBM (Sebago-Bear Mountain trail) end to end. I can get another patch that way...woohoo... Patches.. Patches... we don't need no stinkin' patches... :p

Jay

Jay H said:
Dr Wu, ack, I have friday off, but I told my friend I would go to Harriman and do the 20+ mile SBM (Sebago-Bear Mountain trail) end to end. I can get another patch that way...woohoo... Patches.. Patches... we don't need no stinkin' patches... :p

Jay
How many stinkin' patches do you have!? :p Where is Sebago-Bear Mountain Trail??

-Dr. Wu

Only 2, one from the catskills 3500 and one from Mt Rainier.

SBM is in Harriman State Park, which is Orange/Rockland County in NY and about 30 minutes from me.

Jay

Jay H said:
SBM is in Harriman State Park, which is Orange/Rockland County in NY and about 30 minutes from me.

Jay
That's where I thought it was. :(

Anyone else want to hike in the Catskills on Friday? Or maybe the Whites?

-Dr. Wu

Wu,

I'm stuck in the salt mines on Friday, but if you want to hang around until Saturday, I might be convinced to hike. I've been wanting to return to Twin and Indian Head for some time. I just climbed Plateau last weekend, but I might be up for Sugarloaf as well. Perhaps even a backpack.

Matt

Update: My dad might be coming down Saturday to hike in the Shawangunks. Then again he might not. Wu, just let me know if you even can/want to hike Saturday.

Last edited:
mcorsar said:
Update: My dad might be coming down Saturday to hike in the Shawangunks. Then again he might not. Wu, just let me know if you even can/want to hike Saturday.
Nah, sorry... I can't hike on Saturday. Going to visit my parents! That's why I'm hiking on Friday :)

-Dr. Wu

dr_wu002 said:
Nah, sorry... I can't hike on Saturday. Going to visit my parents! That's why I'm hiking on Friday :)

-Dr. Wu

Darn. At least leave an alligator egg in the Prediger Road trail register box so I'll know you've been there when I finally get back to Indian Head.

Seriously, I'll be looking to do more back in the Catskills this fall and especially winter, since the gas prices are making it harder to head to the ADKs. Stay in touch.

Matt

Saturday

mcorsar said:
Darn. At least leave an alligator egg in the Prediger Road trail register box so I'll know you've been there when I finally get back to Indian Head.

Seriously, I'll be looking to do more back in the Catskills this fall and especially winter, since the gas prices are making it harder to head to the ADKs. Stay in touch.

Matt
Matt, my plans have changed as usual. I'm a waskally one. I can go on Saturday. I'm considering all or part of Devil's Path. Maybe if you're available you'd be interested. Or maybe you could help w/ carspot and hike part way? I don't know. JayH? Funky Freddie?

I may end up heading to the Whites though so let me know if you have plans.

-Dr. Wu

Last edited:
Jay H said:

Jay

Jay, in April or May, there is a hike you would like. It's 29 miles along the Taconic Crest Trail. IIRC, it's about 6000 of vertical. There are 3 way points along the way, where you can drop or pickup gear, food, water, etc.

And, BONUS! They give you a patch!

Hikethe115 and Flipsbliss have this patch. I was their sherpa that day. :)

Reactions: dug
Hey Tom, successfully did the Suffern-Bear Mountain trail. I don't know why, I always call it Sebago which is a lake in Harriman, but it's really Suffern, since it starts in downtown Suffern, NY, right by an Irish pub called Ireland 32, which we stopped for dinner after the hike. Frytz and I started abotut 6:45 right outside the Bear Mountain Inn and finished in Suffern around 6:15pm. This includes all stops and a lunch break on Big Hill on the Long Path.

Taconic Crest Trail, eh, it's on my long term radar, but I've never hiked that, with only 6000' vertical over 29 miles, that must be an easy trail. :D :D

Dr Wu, sorry, I didn't check my email at all on friday nor did I log in. In either case, I had to do some yardwork on saturday and prepare for the carpet installers. So I was basically moving things around in my room and doing yardwork. I did manage to get out and go to Campmor to pick up some needed supplies, jetboil canister, a new NYNJTC North Jersey trailmap and Longstreth's book on the catskills... Hope you all had a good hike...

Jay