Catskills on Sunday 9/18

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr_wu002

Reaction score
The weather forecast looks nice for The Catskills on Sunday!

I'm thinkin' about heading out there myself... considering part of Devil's Path:

either -
Indian Head
Twin
Sugarloaf
Plateau

or -
Hunter
SW Hunter
West Kill

or I was thinking of parking in Stony Clove Notch and going up Plateau from that direction or maybe Hunter, SW Hunter and West Kill from the other direction.

Devil's Path looks interesting but the carspot looks long... if I'm going to spot a car I prefer it to be about 10-15 minutes of driving. I could however, be interested in doing most of Devil's Path and spotting a car in a more convenient location.

Or, I was thinking of a loop with Black Head/Dome and the Escarpment going over to Windham High Peak.

Or, Slide Mountain... from Rt. 43 go up Table on the Peekamoose-Table Trail. Go East on the trail that goes along the East Branch of Neversink River. BW to Slide-Cornell Col. Take Wittenberg-Slide Trail to Wittenberg, then back to Cornell and Slide. Curtis-Ormsby trail to Phoenicia East Trail to Peekamoose-Table Trail. Something like 25-28 miles.

Anyway, I think I'm going to take advantage of the nice weather. PM me or reply here with interest.

-Dr. Wu

Last edited:
Too Late Dr Wu, I left for the catskills after work on Friday and Daxs, Hermit, and I did Lone and Rocky from peekamoose road and on sunday (today) we did Friday and Balsam Cap with TMax, sans Hermit, from Moon Haw road...

If we'd known you were going to be in the area, we'd have contacted ya... Hope you had a nice trip, Sunday was pretty nice, a bit less humid than Saturday which was oppressive!

Jay

Jay, sorry I didn't make it up to the Catskills this weekend. Mohonk Preserve was giving away free passes this weekend and I was waiting around both days to see if any of my friends wanted to go up there. I ended up playing guitar all day Saturday instead of hiking-a refreshing break actually. Sunday (today) I hit the Gunks even though my friends were all too busy-I ended up doing Gertrude's Nose, plus Hamilton Point and Castle Point. Saw many grouse on Blueberry Run and a porcupine on Awosting Lake Carriageway on the way back.

Matt