chaps (alternative to rain pants)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevec

Reaction score
Hi, I'm tired of hot rain pants (even goretex gets damp inside when climbing in the high peaks) and am looking at chaps as an alternative as I was thinking they might vent hot air out the top and thus be more comfortable (and might weigh less as they use less material). What are the opinions of others and what are the best chaps for rain wear while hiking ? On the internet I found a nice pair of waterproof chaps from Orvis but they aren't cheap (about $85). Also, Cabelas provides several choices of chaps. Does anyone have experience using chaps while hiking ?

No experience with chaps, but like you I hate wearing rain pants and usually don't unless it's necessary. Here's my solution. . They're very water resistant and a bit heavier than most nylon pants making them great for bushwhacking as well.

There are some other companies that make water resistant/teflon coated pants such as Ex officio.

Last edited:
I have a pair of chaps and have used them. They work and are cooler than wind pants, but they require a long jacket (mid-thigh or longer) or cagoule. Otherwise, water can leak into the top. Modern jackets tend to be too short.

If they get wet inside, they tend to stick to bare legs.

Doug

Campmor used to sell them in the 80's and early 90's. I used to backpack with a great bunch of folks, when I lived in Buffalo, that swore by them and in hindsight, I always wished I had purchased a pair.
Try Loghouse Designs in NH - I beleive they might have made them and might still do (603) 694-3373.
Rick

I've used a cheap, light (4oz) pair of chaps from Campmor; I believe they were made by Red Ledge. They work very well with a cougoule, or a longish rain jacket, but not so well in a wind driven rain with a short jacket. They are excellent for hiking in wet brush, after a rain or heavy dew. They are a versatile piece gear if you are going light (you can even use them for bug protection).

You'll want a means of attaching them to your waist, and are best worn with a belt, which I ordinarily do not use. When I bring the chaps, I make sure I have a webbing strap to use as a belt, and either tie the chaps to the belt or to the belt loops on my pants / shorts. I've also used the combo of umbrella and chaps (yeah, it looks more than a little ridiculous), in light rain. Very breathable set up.

Ed

This is a pair you could try for under $30.
Jeans with a wide leather belt, chaps and a poncho used to work fine for me. If you don't use a poncho, like DougPaul and others have said, you need a longer (cagoule style) jacket, which used to be standard issue also. Fashion has dictated a shorter jacket and you need a belt to attach the chap to, so it throws your entire ensemble out of whack.

Thicker ones used by hunters for pushing through briar would be good for serious bush whackers, though.

chaps (will try them)

Okay. Thanks to everyone for your opinions. I've ordered a pair of chaps from Cabelas so I can try them myself.

Laundrymats

Gee, I'd probably get funny looks if I was in a laundrymat washing my hiking clothes and dressed only in chaps. Maybe I better stick with rain pants.

chaps (a different look)

Yes, I received my chaps by UPS today and tried them on.... my son said it was not a good look for me and I should stick with the rain pants. The Cabelas water proof chaps are a nice but use a heavier fabric than I was hoping for so I may return them and wait till I find a lighter pair.
I could always hold on to these chaps in case I get a Harley.... not likely.

Latest posts