Cheap sleeps in the Catskills?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey DB:

Check out this existing threads, this topic comes up here and elsewhere on occasion:

http://vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16578&highlight=catskill+lodging

http://vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11644&highlight=catskill+lodging

There might be others, I just searched for Catskill Lodging

I don't stay in hotels much in there so I don't have much thought but where in the catskills do you plan on going, there are typically towns in the various regions that will help in finding lodging. Obviously the ski industry attracts the hotels and stuff so expect to find a lot of lodging options, not necessarily cheap lodging though, in the areas of

Hunter, Tannersville, High Mount, Windham. But there are also other towns that have some smaller lodgings like Palenville, Boiceville... And there are some right off the thruway in Saugerties and Kingston.

If you can look at the above threads and narrow down a particular area, you can use most of the online travel sites to compare prices in the towns I've mentioned and then perhaps put up questions as to their niceness, etc...

Jay

Yeah, I searched beforehand and came across the first link but it only names one motel that's still in business and the second link only mentioned one around $79 and the rest are in the $150 ballpark. I guess I have a different idea of what "cheap" is. :(

FWIW, I had been hoping to stay near either Phoenicia, Saugerties, or Windham for $60 or less. Heck, even Kingston would have been OK.

Una_dogger/MJ, I know a friend on AHP who stays there often, she likes it so it can't be too bad. :) I almost stayed there my first night out on my bike to Maine, but my friend and I wound up huffing it to Staatsburgh and camped at Mills Norrie.. and now I know enough folks in New Paltz to crash at anyway.

I'd suggest Kingston, There is a Motel 8 (?????) right on Rt 28 East, just before the Kingston Circle that isn't that much, doesn't look like a ritz kind of place.... Also checkout Skytop Motel which is across from the Motel 8 place, don't know how much but they are right on the Thruway.

In saugeries, on Rt 23 North right off the Thruway there are 2 hotels, I think one is a Hojos and the other a Comfort Inn but they are probably more midpriced than cheap.

Jay

Last edited:
Hey Jay! Good to know its gotten some good reviews.

BTW, I've stayed at the Motel 6 on Rt 28 Kingston (near the rotary) and it was pretty skanky. Maybe they've renovated, though, that was about 5 years ago??

I'd like to put a plug in for the Woodland Valley Campground -- its run by DEC and has decent showers in the bathhouse. Its just outside of Pheonecia. Here's a helpful little link: :)
http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/24501.html

Not sure if you are interested in camping, though...

Have fun in the Cats!

Of Course,DB mentioned he wasn't looking for the Ritz!

I'm told that Motel X on Rt 28 is just about $70. I've only stopped there once to use my cell phone...

Anyway, just thought of another one that I know 2 friends of mine stayed at near Palenville, NY called the Red Ranch Motel

Has a outdoor Pool, restaurant Bar, is close to Kaaterskill Clove/Falls being in Palenville...

http://www.redranchmotel.com/

The price seams reasonable and it seems to have gotten good reviews. Fritz and Jade stayed there when I was running my Escape the Escarpment TBS hike 2 years ago.

Jay

For the sake of anyone who might stumble across this thread looking for something on the cheap, I want to share how my search worked out.

With it being a holiday weekend and all, this being pretty last minute, and wanting to get something in the heart of the eastern Catskills, I think I did alright.

I got a room for Friday night (filled the rest of the weekend) at the Phoenicia Village Motel ($67) and for the rest of the weekend (still room available) at The Weyside Inn in Big Indian ($70) per night. Not too bad for two people on a holiday weekend.

We had looked into camping, but there were no reservable sites available for Saturday night. I like knowing where I'll be staying.

Thanks everyone for your help with this. I'm really looking forward to my first time hiking in NY. :)