Co-workers leave Colorado man behind on mountain summit during office retreat

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw this from another source and almost posted it here as well. Great team building exercise! Good luck pal, you're on your own. I guess they didn't get the memo about starting as a group and finishing as a group. Doesn't sound like they had a group leader either, so they're all to blame.

I just shared this with my team with the heading Things we won't be doing soon!

Jeez, just tell him tactfully that he has bad breath or that everyone knows he doesn’t wash his hands after going to the bathroom. Leaving him behind on a mountain is a little extreme.

I like how they took the trail markers with them as they descended and then made it seem like it was his fault he took the wrong route down. Close to 20 years ago I worked as a skilift mechanic at a small ski area in south-central NH, and one day a call came over my radio about a young kid lost on the mountain. I was already on my sled so I headed over to the easternmost trail and just started riding slowly along the edges. After maybe 20 minutes I saw a 5-7 y/o boy sitting down and crying, I pulled up and asked if he was Hernando (pseudonym in case his jackass father reads this.) He said he was, I asked if his hands or feet were cold (yes), got on the radio and said I was headed back to ski patrol with him and that his extremities were cold. When we got there his father was waiting and after a hug said “where’d you go? I looked back and you were gone!” I wanted to punch the POS.

I would file for workman's comp and milk the psychological aspect.

My coworker's would do the same thing, don't trust any of them, lol. I love being a soloist, stress free hiking and great conversations with my dog.

"one member of their party was left to complete his final summit push alone"

It sounds like he decided to keep going by himself and everyone else is getting blamed since he got lost.

My coworker's would do the same thing, don't trust any of them, lol. I love being a soloist, stress free hiking and great conversations with my dog.

You can go solo or you can go with your dog. Not sure who is the leader there, but you are definitely a team. :)

"one member of their party was left to complete his final summit push alone"

It sounds like he decided to keep going by himself and everyone else is getting blamed since he got lost.

A group travels together and does not allow anyone to be left behind. There are obligations involved in forming a group. These people failed to meet them so they shoulder the majority of the blame. The hiker left behind is to blame for trusting them.

A group travels together and does not allow anyone to be left behind. There are obligations involved in forming a group. These people failed to meet them so they shoulder the majority of the blame. The hiker left behind is to blame for trusting them.

Not all group dynamics are the same. My hiking group is more of an assembly of solo hikers that camp together.

Not all group dynamics are the same. My hiking group is more of an assembly of solo hikers that camp together.

Not all definitions of group are the same I guess. By my definition you are not grouped so can leave the others to die without shame if that is your thing. :)

A work event is a very different thing though. Even if you don't want to look at corporate liability, just the costs of hiring replacement workers for anyone killed should be incentive enough to run the trip by the book. Leader, sweeper and definitely not leaving the slowest hiker alone headed up while everyone else heads down. Now the guy has a case for a PTSD disability claim heh.

You can go solo or you can go with your dog. Not sure who is the leader there, but you are definitely a team. :)

There is a difference between someone getting left behind and someone deciding they are pushing for the summit on their own when the group is leaving the mountain.

There is a difference between someone getting left behind and someone deciding they are pushing for the summit on their own when the group is leaving the mountain.
The article said he “was left to complete his final summit push on his own.” That’s worded pretty ambiguously; does it mean everyone else wanted to turn back before summiting but he wanted to summit so he went alone? Or was he slower than them and still climbing as they were returning? To me the operative words are “[he] was left.” They didn’t say “he left the group.” The group started together and should have finished together. Short of dangerous weather being imminent they should have waited for him, or at a very minimum had at least a couple volunteers stay behind to hike down with him and police up all the trail markers they’d left. As someone who’s been both the slowpoke and waiting for the slowpoke that’s what I’d do, at least.

The article said he “was left to complete his final summit push on his own.” That’s worded pretty ambiguously; does it mean everyone else wanted to turn back before summiting but he wanted to summit so he went alone? Or was he slower than them and still climbing as they were returning? To me the operative words are “[he] was left.” They didn’t say “he left the group.” The group started together and should have finished together. Short of dangerous weather being imminent they should have waited for him, or at a very minimum had at least a couple volunteers stay behind to hike down with him and police up all the trail markers they’d left. As someone who’s been both the slowpoke and waiting for the slowpoke that’s what I’d do, at least.

Whoever pulled the trail markers is the real idiot here.

I say using your stuff as trail markers wasn’t too smart, either. It sounds like they were on an official trail, so there must have been blazes or something marking the route.

I just looked at some photos and it looks very desolate up there. It looks like a very tough place to get lost in all honesty. They must have just gotten themselves into the wrong gulch on the way down... that would take you far away from where you wanted to wind up if you did that.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=Mount+Shavano

Latest posts