colden/phelps/tabletop

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Viewseeker

Reaction score
Looking to hike these 3 this weekend (one day).Anyone suggest the best routes and time needed.I'm thinking to colden then cut over to tabletop then phelps on the way out , back to heart lake.

Great mountains! I'd consider the loop in the other direction. It's a personal preference, but when I do a multi summit trip, I think it's much more aesthetically pleasing to do the highest and most spectacular summit last. Plus, when you get to Colden, if you have extra time, you can return through Avalanche Pass, which is always worthwhile. (Don't miss the views on Tabletop. There weren't any views there years ago (treed summit), but much travel has created several paths from the summit out to some lookouts; one has a great view of Haystack.)

Doing these three in a day is definately do-able. I would suggest getting Colden done first, its the highest and toughest and also there is more exposure up there so afternoon thunderstorms could potentially prevent you from summitting it if you leave it for last. Just my 0.02.
:D

Loj-> Marcy Dam -> Avalanche Camp -> Lake Arnold Trail to Colden, back down Lake Arnold to Indian Falls Cross Over, south from Indian Falls on Marcy Trail to TableTop herdpath, south again to Phelps herdpath, then return via Marcy Dam.

I agree with una_dogger! Colden is a good one to summit early in the day. Looks to be good weather for the most part this weekend! Enjoy - I will send smoke signals from the Santanoni's!!!!

una_dogger said:
Doing these three in a day is definately do-able. I would suggest getting Colden done first, its the highest and toughest and also there is more exposure up there so afternoon thunderstorms could potentially prevent you from summitting it if you leave it for last. Just my 0.02.
This girl does make a good point. ;)

Then again... adventure is as you make it! Nothing like Colden when it's wet and windy!!

There is nothing better than getting stuck in a big cloud a top of Colden :) Very elusive! when i made my Colden ascent, we actually went up the wrong way and down the really steep slide (really wet too!!!) :p .... Turns out I was sledding on my bum most of the way down !

Those high peaks in any weather are beautiful! Depends on how you look at it :)

HapyHkngSmile said:
There is nothing better than getting stuck in a big cloud a top of Colden :)

Sure there is, seeing the views from atop Colden comes to mind!!! :D

Viewseeker, be sure to continue on the herd path that drops off Tabletop's summit to a small clearing with a great view of the Marcy, Haystack, & the Great Range.

una_dogger said:
Loj-> Marcy Dam -> Avalanche Camp -> Lake Arnold Trail to Colden, back down Lake Arnold to Indian Falls Cross Over, south from Indian Falls on Marcy Trail to TableTop herdpath, south again to Phelps herdpath, then return via Marcy Dam.

Note: I'm not sure if its north or south, and I suspect its actually north, but from Indian Falls make a LEFT going back towards the Loj! (can you tell I've made that mistake before??!!)
:p

una_dogger i"ll have to put that in back of mind as we switched routes and went thru avalache pass and over colden .never went to tabletop/colden/phelps. Pass was so beautiful in the morning sun as well as top of colden, glad we went up those wet rocks and not down them.

Latest posts