Colden summit from Lake Colden in winter ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip

Reaction score
I don't have my map with me today. If we come down from Algonquin or in from Avalanche, cross the lake and decide to summit Colden - isn't that approach kind of cliffy/scrambly or is it just steep ?

I am assuming you dont mean the trap dyke.

The trail approach really isnt that bad. It can be steep in spots, but the only section we encountered in winter that was tricky was at the cliff up at the top where we went left when the trail went right to the right edge of the cliff. So we werent even on the trail for that section.

Dunno about cliffy, but definitely steep per the topo I found here on my work PC.

When we did it in March '08 we stayed at the lean-to on the back side of Colden and summited via the Lake Arnold trail.
Got my first taste of mild hypothermia after getting rained on during the hike in from the HPIC.

Good times!

Not really cliffy, but definitely steep. Could make for some fun crampon work. I've only done it in summer. There are some ladders here and there, which probably get covered in snow that could make for some interesting ascents.

blacklab2020 said:
I am assuming you dont mean the trap dyke.
Correct, not Trap Dyke, just the steep/regular trail. I've hiked up Algonquin in the winter from Avalanche and the lake, but not up Colden from Avalanche and the lake. I guess I'm asking if those are about the same, or if the Colden summit approach is worse.

summited via the Lake Arnold trail.

We'd descend that way if we added Colden. We might also skip Colden completely and hike around it towards Lake Arnold...which is another question...Does the hike around Colden take basically as much time/energy en route to Lake Arnold as summiting Colden would ? (I really should have my map in front of me, sorry.)

... We might also skip Colden completely and hike around it towards Lake Arnold...which is another question...Does the hike around Colden take basically as much time/energy en route to Lake Arnold as summiting Colden would ? (I really should have my map in front of me, sorry.)

If you skip Mt. Colden proper, unless you are red-lining maps I would not think the hike around Mt. Colden and up to Lake Arnold and down would be nearly as interesting and worthwhile (worth the effort) as returning to ADK Loj more directly via Avalanche Lake and Avalanche Pass.

G.

If you skip Mt. Colden proper, unless you are red-lining maps I would not think the hike around Mt. Colden and up to Lake Arnold and down would be nearly as interesting and worthwhile (worth the effort) as returning to ADK Loj more directly via Avalanche Lake and Avalanche Pass.

G.

I agree. I should have stated we are planning a possible overnight loop with Algonquin (and maybe Wright, Iroquios and Colden) on the first day, camping that night around Lake Arnold and then doing Tabletop and Phelps (and maybe Marcy) the second day on our way to the ADKHIGHPEAKS gathering.

I'd say that trail up Colden from the lake is steeper than the trail to Algonquin. But, then again I've only been down the trail from Algonquin to Lake Colden so that might make my opinion different than if I had been up that trail to Algonquin....if that makes sense.

I'd say that trail up Colden from the lake is steeper than the trail to Algonquin. But, then again I've only been down the trail from Algonquin to Lake Colden so that might make my opinion different than if I had been up that trail to Algonquin....if that makes sense.

It has been a long time ... but I'd have to say the Algonquin trail from Lake Colden is steeper than the Mt. Colden Trail from Lake Colden. But they are different enough in character that it really is hard to compare, and memory blurs reality over the years.

G.

Laurie and I climbed Colden from the Lake Colden approach for our first date! It was about -10F, but a beautiful day. The trail was unbroken, but easy to find and follow. It's steep, and gets less traffic, generally. It might not be broken out.

We're doing Colden that Saturday, but I think we'll be going up the Lake Arnold side.

From the elevation differences and trail guide distances, since there is little descent on either trail:

L.C. to Algonquin:
2330 ft in 2.1 miles (22% grade)

L.C. to Mt. Colden:
1940 ft in 1.6 miles (24% grade)

Algonquin has greater ascent, but Colden is steeper. They are both difficult winter climbs, and are not frequently done because easier trails are available.

It's just a trail, no steeper than other ADK trails. Crux for us was finding the little side trail to the right for the little summit rock!
I thought the trail up to Algonquin from the lake was steeper or at least had trickier sections, more drifted snow, etc.
From what I recall there is more cliffiness/scrambling to go up Algonquin (from the North) and Wright than on the trail up to Colden.

Last edited:
Ishmael and I made it past all of the steep parts in the winter of 2008. But like most winter hikes it all depends on the weather and how well you are prepared for it. We made it to about .25 mile of the summit but then ran into 30+mph winds, 5 degree F temps and no guide to whack us in the head and yell "Keep moving!" Only one of us had crampons. It is certainly doable, but you need to be prepared for a quarter mile of very exposed hiking.

Wikiloc track.

See you at the Ark ! :)

Last edited:
We decended this trail on a clear winter day. It was steep but uneventful. We booted the sections on open rock above, and put on the snowshoes in the forest below.

We are headed up again this winter and will probably do a loop hike over Colden using this trail