Colorado Rockies

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sierra

Reaction score
Thought some people who are bored during the later half of winter might find this interesting. Rockymountains.net is a site with alot of information on Co and the mountains, complete with weather reports and a webcam facing MT.Princeton ( a 14er). Anyone planning or thinking aboout hiking out in Co might find it usefull ( I hope).
FYI, MT Princeton is located centrally in the Sawatch Range, there 14 14ers in this range and they are quite easy to hike, so long as your ok with altitude.
Anyway, just throwing it out there, I know the first time I went out there I was clueless indeed.

Thanks for the info. I'm planning a trip there this summer. My 22 year old son lives in Gunnison and I visited him briefly when he lived in Leadville (both places as a college student). I'm looking forward to climbing Longs Peak, after reading about Isabella Bird, in her book "A Lady's Life in the Rockys", which described her exploration there in the 1850s. I'd be interested in hearing from others who have climbed Longs.

Thanks for the info, I am headed out to CO the first week in April and maybe I will throw some hiking gear in the suitcase! ;)

eruggles said:
Thanks for the info. I'm planning a trip there this summer. My 22 year old son lives in Gunnison and I visited him briefly when he lived in Leadville (both places as a college student). I'm looking forward to climbing Longs Peak, after reading about Isabella Bird, in her book "A Lady's Life in the Rockys", which described her exploration there in the 1850s. I'd be interested in hearing from others who have climbed Longs.
Ellen - Have been up Longs 2 or 3 times (also Lady Washington a couple when conditions didn't permit Longs). If doing it as a day hike, get the proverbial alpine start, as it's a long toot. Some do it as an overnite, staying at the Boulder Field, just below the Keyhole (composting jon located there as well). Beautiful spot - sometimes see elk near the trees. Watch for ptarmigan - hard to spot, usually hear their cooing first. Have little fear of humans but their camo is superb. Have seen them twice, both times about 1/2 mile above the jct where the trail heads to a lake. Lots of pika and marmots in this area as well.

Just west of the entrance to Longs (maybe 3 miles) there's a primitive campground on the right. I think it's in the Roosevelt NF - good place to acclimate, as it's around 9K'.

Kevin

Thanks, Kevin. We'll definitely need time to acclimatize, and I'm a believer in spending more time rather than less on a mountain -- we took the longest trip we could get on Kilimanjaro, for example -- so I'm glad to know there are ways to divy up the hike into somewhat shorter bits, and especially if it means seeing more wildlife. When would you suggest going?

Longs time frame

eruggles,
Thought Id chime in about Longs Peak. Hiking Longs via the standard route (Keyhole route) is dependent primarally on snowpack and or weather conditions. There are some sections ie. narrows,homestrectch, that can stay snow covered or ice covered well into July. To some this can pose a problem, to others with crampon and axe experience its not a deciding factor. The route is deemed technical by the forest service until these ice conditions are gone, this varys year by year, for instance last year it was the later part of July before the route became "non technical" according to the forest service. I would venture to say by August the keyhole route is dry,safe and see's the majority of its traffic, which by the way, can be alot, it is not uncommen to see upwards of 50 or more people attempting the route on any given day.
kevin is right on, I would leave for the climb at 3.00am at the latest, unless you camp at the boulder field, which personally I wouldnt do, the reason I wouldnt, I think its alot of work to pack in for the amount of time you would save, I prefer to travel light and fast, but thats only me, camping at the boulder field may be an attractive choice for many.
Your 2 biggest concerns are the weather and the altitude. Afternoon thunderstorms roll in any time after noon and you should definetly be descending by noon, being high on the route during a storm is potentially fatal imo, lightning can be severe and the route can ice up or become a waterfall in a bad thunderstorm, litrally becoming semi technical.
Altitude is another issue, not just getting sick, but not being aclimized can make you slow and make the hike less then fun. There are many places to aclimate in the area and sleeping high (around 9k) is a great way to aclimate. You can take trail ridge road up into Rocky mtn national park and drive to 12k, at that point you can hike around the tundra and trails easily, its both beautifull and provides great aclimization fr your hike.
Any other info, Id be glad to help, Longs is a beautifull peak, just dont underestimate conditions or the peak. OH one more thing the Keyhole route is very well blazed with bullseyes on a good day youd be hard pressed to lose the trail.

http://www.14ers.com/

FYI...
Another very well done web site with many beautiful pictures and route descriptions on 14ers. I am considering a trip to either CO or Canadian Rockies this summer.

Longs Peak

Longs peak is very nice, but don't forget that there are lots of other hikes in the area... I'd allow 2 days or so for Rocky Mtn Ntl Park even if you only do a few short walks away from the car. Trail Ridge Rd also doesn't open until fairly late spring too.

Attempted Longs in spring once (April?). Was looking at the Cable route (north face), but altitude stopped me around 12K ft--only had a few days to acclimatize.

Doug

eruggles said:
Thanks, Kevin. We'll definitely need time to acclimatize, and I'm a believer in spending more time rather than less on a mountain -- we took the longest trip we could get on Kilimanjaro, for example -- so I'm glad to know there are ways to divy up the hike into somewhat shorter bits, and especially if it means seeing more wildlife. When would you suggest going?
Ellen -

I think sierra's advice is excellent, and he's got far more experience in the Rockies than I. There can be ice above the Keyhole, and that changes the nature of the climb entirely. The photo I sent you of the ptarmigan's was taken in early October when that section had way too much ice for this solo hiker, so I climbed Lady Washington instead. Still a great climb, about 13K', with a terrific view of the 'diamond' that charactorizes the face of Longs. Also great views down into lake in front on Longs/Meeker. No trail up LW, just pick your own route.

As Doug points out, there are lots of other places to hike/climb in Rocky Mtn NP - the place is jaw-dropping gorgeous. Personally, I like to climb Hallets and Flat Top first to help aclimatize (one's on the way to the other). If memory serves, the TH is at Bear Lake, and tops out around 12K'. Trail is well-maintained and broad - no technical stuff, but you might encounte a bit of snow. Get an early start, around 5AM so that you can be headed down by 11AM - those Colorado thunderstorms are pretty regular.

Also - Estes Park is pretty upscale, but if you're camping it's not too pricey. They have a good Safeway for stocking up -

Kevin

I live about 45 minutes from the Longs Peak trailhead (main route anyway). Beyond the Keyhole can be pretty sketchy until later in the summer due to wet slides. Definitely don't try going beyond that. However, there are other routes that are more difficult in dry weather, but better options for early season (i.e. pre-July) hikes.

Also, the Indian Peaks south of Rocky Mtn Nat'l Park are fantastic and that's where I spend the majority of my time. :) There are some great snow climbs well into July and August that only require very basic axe skills (and altitude acclimation), and the camping options, especially midweek, are more plentiful.

Feel free to shoot me a PM as you get closer to planning / coming out to Colorado.