Columbia Bugabootoo

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doodles

Reaction score
I've read the threads on snowshoe boots and have seen a lot of reference to the Bugabootoo. Before I order these, I would like to hear pros and / or cons of this boot for snowshoeing. Is this considered a waterproof boot? Realizing all of us are different, what is a low end temperature for this boot? Any and all information will be greatly appreciated to help me decide. Found them for $60. This seems to be a good price. Thanks.

Thought someone with more recent experience than mine would have posted by now, so I held my fire. Maybe someone else will also respond.

I used Bugabootoos for snowshoeing, light hiking, and town walking for a couple of seasons. They're plenty waterproof for those purposes. They're more suited to snowshoeing than higher boots from Columbia, Sorel, etc. (The prototypical Sorel is heavier and way too warm for most snowshoeing, IMO.)

I found them plenty warm down to about -15F, but note that I have warm feet. IMO, they are too soft for serious hiking on rocks and steep slopes. They're not suited to winter camping, because they'll freeze overnight (outside a sleeping bag) and they're not quite warm enough for the minimum temps that I will camp in. I was also disappointed with the tread life (but I wore them a lot in town in a place where winter ran from October to April.) Not sure what the sole construction is these days, and I think Columbia has made some improvements to the line since I bought them. At $60 you might be getting older ones like mine were?

I have a pair but I don't use them for hiking because they are way too warm for me-- my feet would be in a pool of sweat if I used them for any strenuous activity. They rise too high on my ankle and cause chafing there. They are plenty waterproof though -- I generally use them when shoveling the walk.

- Ivy

I have a pair and use them for most winter activities, including snowshoeing. They are plenty warm enough and comfortable. They have a nice 'ridge' on the heel that makes it easy to place your snowshoe strap and keep it in place while hiking. I've never had a problem with wet feet either (at least from the outside in).

I have used mine in temps from the thirties down to the minus 20 range. If going in that type of cold (the latter) don't tighten too much and don't stand in one place long. I tend to have warm feet and have found them to be pretty reasonable in the warmer part of the range, ie. not too sweaty. I have not camped in them and would certainly be suspect of keeping them outside of a sleeping bag overnight in temps much below freezing. They have been waterproof for me but I can't say I've spent a lot of time with my feet in the water with them on. Used with crampons and snowshoes almost exclusively so I can't comment on the tread performance.

I love these boots for snowshoe use. I have had mine down to -10 and with a combo of thin liner socks, vapor barrier liner socks and wool socks my "dogs" were very warm and comfortable. They are nicely waterproofed and I've used them in some very wet conditions.

However, if you go overnight 25 degrees and below - sleep with them in your bag because, as mentioned above, they get VERY VERY cold and I found it very difficult to get the toes'es warmed up for most of the next 5 or 6 hours of walking.

A friend of mine bought his a size larger than he typically wears just to keep his socks light an lofty and therefore (he asserts) warmer.

Also, don't bind the snowshoes too tightly across the toe box. Keep them a little looser to keep the circulation going and the socks lofty.