Compass Question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattC

Reaction score
Ulster County, NY Avatar: Chapel Pond From Giant M
I may buy a new compass soon since the print on mine is wearing off and becoming difficult to read. It's a no-frills Brunton and I've been perfectly happy w/ it, except that it's getting so faded. If I buy a new one, I'll keep the old one in my pack as a backup.

Anyway, is there a truly good reason to buy one w/ any of the bells and whistles? For instance, the ones w/ the attached mirror are supposed to help you take a better bearing-any truth to this? I use my compass for basic 'whacking, not competitive orienteering or anything.

Matt

I've been using an old Silva System 7 nl for 20-30 years now. It's a basic baseplate model. No bells, no whistles. :) It's been replaced by the Starter 1-2-3. Silva Starter 1-2-3

These days though I tend to use an altimeter and map more than the compass and map. I guess I don't really care too much about where I'm going, I just want to know...Where am I? :D

I had a Brunton whose azimuth ring (as they call it) became so worn it was unreadable I found their web site and e-mailed them, asking if I could buy just the capsule (which includes the azimuth ring). They said they guaranteed their compasses, took my address, and sent me a new...ah, that oldtimers is acting up. I don't remember if they sent me a new capsule or a whole new compass. I'm somewhat sure it was just the capsule.

The compass with the mirror enables you to hold it at eye level and sight in on whatever while using the mirror to keep the needle exactly in the marked area. That level of accuracy is good in open areas, not so helpful in forest, and useless in thick woods. For a good laugh the next time you're in a spruce thicket, try to recall the diagram in the compass instructions that shows a single, distinctive tree standing out at the far end of a huge field. :D
Perhaps it helps the most when you're trying to determine where you are by triangulating off distant points, such as mountain tops. [tip: when doing that, try to use 3 points that are as widely separate as possible. Ideally, they'd be spaced at 120 degree intervals.]

Last edited:
long ago i bought a superfancy model with mirror, and snowfield angle needle and i think under certain conditions maybe it could even boil water! the more i started really using a compass for whackin' the less i liked the mirror; too cumbersome. i replaced it with the suunto M3. the mirror could certainly make things much more precise, but i feel like its fine without it.

the features i like are the adjustable declination correction scale (must have for me), luminious markings and it's easy to hold and turn.

I have used a Silva Ranger compass on my bushwacking trips for many years. The sighting mirror, clinometer, the large easy to read face, and map grippers are all practical features in my experience. On occasion, I've even had to rely on the luminous points for those trips that didn't end in daylight. For me it's been a good investment. Basically, you get what you pay for.

Compass

I have a baseplate Silva, a Silva 27 (small mirror compass), A Suunto MG3 (global needle mirror compass), a baseplate compass for down under (the needle is weighted differently) and maybe one other somewhere. I'm no compass genius, just collected them along the way. A basic baseplate compass works fine for most anything. I got the fancy mirror compass for backcountry navigating, but haven't given it a real test yet. It's kind of big, too, so the little mirror compass goes in my ten essentials bag. As long as you have one you are comfortable using and understand declination if you don't have the auto set feature, you should be fine. I think having one with you along with a map is more important than how fancy it is.

I've had my Silva Ranger for 30 years. The fact that the model is still made after all these years says more about it than I can write. Simply the best compass made for simple or complex useage.

I use a model with a mirror.
Though I sometimes sight with the mirror I use the mirror mostly as is... to check for ticks, scratches, any injuries I can't see stuff like that.

spider solo said:
I use a model with a mirror.
Though I sometimes sight with the mirror I use the mirror mostly as is... to check for ticks, scratches, any injuries I can't see stuff like that.

Yes, those are other good uses for a compass w/ a mirror. Also, to look for a foreign object in your eye, and for signalling.

I think it's a matter of personal preference and what your using it for.

I had a mirror sighting Silva Ranger and found it way too heavy and not necessarry for my use. I then switched back to a small simple baseplace compass with 2 degree units and have been very happy. Over the years I've worn out a few of them and I still think they are the best for me and the cost is only $10-15. The number one reason for replacement is worn tick marks. Of course if you keep it clean, or for some people always in their pack, this is not a problem. Then there is the air bubble problem that is annoying.

In the NEUS, I travel mostly in close woods. I do very little precise sighting. Most of my compass use is: look down, box the needle, look at the side of the base plate and then up, "grab a bearing" 100 to 300 ft away, walk towards it, repeat as necessary.

In this manner, the compass is on a string around my neck. 10% of the time it's in my hand. 90% of the time hanging. ( Diversion: One tip. Keep it in hand 100% of the time for the first 20-30 minutes after leaving the summit. also when you are intentionally off the bearing by more than 10-20 degrees like when you're following an old woods road) So I really want a light compass. I also found the ones with the curved back of the base plate an very nice improvement over the state of the art rectangular plate available 20 yrs ago.

When I joined SAR, I started to internally compete with the guys with GPSes. If you're really good with map and compass this can be alot of fun and help you improve. For that application, I needed to be able to plot my coordinates. I started using a plotting tool. So I had another tool to manage and I found that I did not have enough hands or cpu capacity to route find, and plot coordinates while on the move bushwhacking. So, I bought a GPS compass that has the plotting tools right on the top and it is great. Kind of like a vice grip. If you only want to carry one tool that's the one. I like the one that has a little hole at the x,y point because it hold the pen when I'm plotting the dot. If you start to do this stuff, this all makes sense.

A little story. We were on the top of Donaldson in a sea of white clouds. I'm following and the group comes to a stop on the realtively flat top. It is down in all directions, but it is not the top. One guy has a GPS but he cant figure out the direction to the summit proper. I ask him for his coordinates and he rattles off some lat long crap. I ask for UTM and he switches over and gives me some real usable numbers. I look at my zerox copy of the topo and eyeball the UTMgrid and give a the direction we need to head. We were at the summit in 10 minutes. Around my neck was the simple baseplate compass. At home in the SAR box was the deluxe GPS compass. Now, the important thing here is that the skills got the job done and the tools were not needed. I could have told him it was 220m or 180m to the summit instead of about 200m, but that does not matter. The important thing was SOUTH, a ways. Now if your giving coordinates for SAR, they love that +-20m accuracy. When I'm off by more than 40m I always ask the GPS dude how many satilites he's receiving. :rolleyes: I'll never be as good, but I can work without batteries as long as there is a good supply of snickers bars. :D

Last edited:
I have one with a mirror and notch, but I only use the mirror when I'm doing field work and I have to set up a plot in the woods with exact bearings so it is perfectly square. For general bushwhacking, I usually ignore the mirror. One exception was when I was doing a small mammal survey in a location that had no decent landmarks, and I had to take an exact bearing back to the road so I could find my traps the next day, so I used the mirror and notch to navigate. I've also used the mirror several times to remove a piece of dirt that got into my eye. It comes in handy sometimes, but more often than not, I don't really need it.

John H Swanson said:
When I'm off by more than 40m I always ask the GPS dude how many satilites he's receiving. I'll never be as good, but I can work without batteries as long as there is a good supply of snickers bars. :D
I operate pretty much the same with compass way as John, including the SAR part, but disagree with his "will never be as good" statement. :rolleyes: In practical terms it's pretty hard to come up with a reason to have the numbers to put me blindfolded within 40m of some arbitrary point on the ground. When I need that kind of accuracy to within a couple of feet then it is obvious that I am standing there - I will know that simply by opening my eyes and observing. If I am where terrain is featureless, then 40m doesn't really matter. If I need to be at a curve in a stream or on the edge of a cliff, I'll know it from the way I navigate. Now when locating a survey pin or when documenting a SAR mission that is a completely different matter.

Last edited:
I have a Silva Ranger CL (baseplate, mirror, built in declination, inclinometer, luminous points) which I use for hiking and salt-water sailing. Most of the time it is overkill, but there have been times when I wanted (and got) an accurate sight. A little heavier than some of the simpler models.

The mirror is also useful for signaling or first aid (such as when I was bleeding from my face after a crash on a solo ski).

I sometimes carry a very light wrist-strap compass as a backup and convienence for when I don't need the good compass.

One should choose a compass based upon one's indended use, but sometimes rarely used features can become important.

Doug

Last edited:
I generally carry two compasses, three if you count the small keychain on one of the backpack zippers. I keep a small compass with my emergency stuff as a spare.

I always thought the mirror was to help identify the hiker who is lost. :D It is also useful for signaling during search and rescue. I've never used it to get a bearing and never needed it as such.

I don't think it matters what kind you get; whatever size and type appeals most. I wouldn't necessarily skimp; I bought an inexpensive one to mount on my windshield and it leaked the fluid within a few hot summer months and was useless therafter so quality can count.

My best compass, a WWII vintage Army issue given to me by my father, has a hairline and sight for precise bearings, but no mirror, and a durable canvas carrying case but I've never used it aside from enjoying its sentimental value.

i like the one with the mirror!!! that way i can see fer myseff, how big the gash is on my face or 4head!!! :D :eek: :D :eek: :D :eek:

I got a new silva with a little magnifer glass in it after my old boyscout silva of 40 years started pointing south last winter. The glass is handy for reading maps if you can't see anymore and the south pointing compass is useful for going the other way.

Orienteering

If you ever look at the compass that is used for orienteering competitions, it's very simple and basic. Baseplate and a bezel with a north arrrow. That's about all.

At most, I carry a $10 or $12 compass for backpacking and peakbagging. No mirror or anything. As eyes get older, the little magnifier gets used more. When on trails, all I carry is a zipper pull size compass.