Conditions in Yosemite and Mt Lassen - moved from T&E

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Rooney

Reaction score
Conditions in Yosemite and Mt Lassen

I realize VFTT is mainly about the Northeast, but I also know that many travel to the West, and have expressed interest in conditions there, so decided to pass on this info. OTH - if the moderators think this thread is inappropriate, please feel free to delete it.

Yosemite/Tioga Pass - Tioga Pass, the eastern approach to Yosemite, is still closed and is likely to remain so for about another 3 weeks, according to a news report I heard on a Bishop, CA radio station a couple of days ago. The problem lies not so much with the snowpack on the road, but the avalanche danger above the road in 2 or 3 places. In other words - there's so much snow up high that authorities fear that road crews will be at risk clearing the roads, so until that risk is reduced/eliminated by snow melt, they'll keep it closed. Apparently the road is nearly open from US395 in Lee Vining to the Tioga park entrance itself (at 10K') - the risky sections are within the park itself.

Also - another road leading into Yosemite NP from the west is currently closed due to a major rock slide, so 2 of the 4 roads leading into the park are currently closed. If you have plans in the near-term that include Yosemite, you'd be wise to call the Park directly and get an update.

Lassen National Park - Lassen is always a snowy place, and this year particularly so. The latest estimate of when the loop road thru this National Park will open is July 20th! Yes - late July.

Finally - and this in more of a curiosity - apparently volcanic activity is increasing in the Mammoth/Bishop area, as they've closed a popular swimming hole in (where else) Hot Creek. I guess it's just getting TOO hot! For those of you who are familiar with either Mammoth Ski area or the area in general, you probably have noticed the geothermal electrical generation plant on the east side of US395 near the Mammoth turnoff as this entire area is rather active volcanically. And Mammoth mountain is more unstable than either Mt St Helens or Rainier - apparently it gets less press because it's located further from population centers and an eruption would have less direct impact on people. Who knows - maybe at some point they'll be a news item on CNN of chairlifts raining down on parts of the Eastern Sierra and Nevada.

Kevin Rooney said:
Finally - and this in more of a curiosity - apparently volcanic activity is increasing in the Mammoth/Bishop area, as they've closed a popular swimming hole in (where else) Hot Creek.

Ha! hey, do you have to take a 4WD road (actually really really tame) to get to a trail to get to those springs? i think a few friends and I (relating to nude hiking thread) skinny dipped there once on a cross-county drive as some friends in santa cruz knew about it and told us to check them out. It was a loooong time ago, i don't remember a powerplant near by, but it was a pretty sweet canyon. my only time in a thermal heated river and that name sounds super familiar. very nice spot.

thanks for the report too, i think, or atleast i would enjoy, trip reports and beta from anywhere. no worries mate.

Hey Starchild -

Actually, there are hot springs all over the west, some of them require a 4x4 and others don't - for example: Keough's is just a few miles south of Bishop, and the buildings are visible from the road. IIRC - it has 5 or 600 gallons a minute of hot water bubbling up - certainly a big "spring".

As the the geothermal plant near Mammouth/US395 - it's not particularly obvious. The first few times I drove by it I noticed the steam coming out of the ground, and another time noticed several pipes and a nearby building. Finally it dawned on me what might be going on, so the next time I drove by I pulled off and looked around. It looks like they pump water into the ground and capture the steam energy that's released when the water hits hot rock. IIRC, this is done on a large scale in Iceland, which is also quite active volcanically.

Kevin

West info is fine. However, since this is not a Trip or Event that you are inviting VFTT members to, it has been moved from Trips & Events to GB.

- darren