Coreys Gate is locked and lean-tos at Colden are flooded

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackSpruce

Reaction score
Here is a trail conditions update, Thursday March 10, 4PM, from Ranger Kevin Burns:

"Coreys' gate is locked (...) the rivers are flowing. Leanto's at Lake Colden are flooded. Not going to be a good weekend. Be safe. "

Well, I hiked March 11-13, and it was a great weekend. We had some rain Friday, but Sat & Sun were excellent hiking days on Marcy. We did defer to the warnings and avoided Lake Colden & Avalanche Lake by exiting via Lake Arnold. Lots of good snow all the way from the HPIC up the VH trail, over Marcy, and out again. Streams were down and good snow depth everywhere.

Well, I hiked March 11-13, and it was a great weekend. We had some rain Friday, but Sat & Sun were excellent hiking days on Marcy. We did defer to the warnings and avoided Lake Colden & Avalanche Lake by exiting via Lake Arnold. Lots of good snow all the way from the HPIC up the VH trail, over Marcy, and out again. Streams were down and good snow depth everywhere.

Yeah, I did Marcy from the Garden 3/13-3/15, and the water had dropped quite low. You could see the deep ravines carved into the snow and ice on Johns Brook by the meltwater, though... it looked like it had been pretty high.