Crampons on leather boots

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Papa Bear

Reaction score
I'm not a winter hiker/climber (yet - give me time) so I don't know the ins and outs of crampons.

I am going to be climbing Mt. Adams (Washington state) and Mt. Hood (Oregon) in mid-June with my daughter. She is experienced and knows where we can get all the stuff I need to rent (she lives in Portland, OR).

The wisdom given to me is that I need "Strap-on" crampons for my leather boots, and the boots must have fiully lugged soles. My boots are Lowa GTX relatively lightweight boots that I've used for a couple of summers and love them. These are high end ($180) lightweight hikers.

Question: how do I know these boots are suitable for the strap-on crampons?

I'm looking forward to a great time in the Cascades. Trip report will follow.

Thanks
Pb

Those Lowa boots look like a below the ankle type of boot and I've always used vibram soled above the ankle type boots because strap on crampons wrap up around the back of the boot at ankle height. Mine are EMS lightweight hikers. I can see why they want you to use strap on variety, the step in type have been known to pop off at the worst time.

Have fun out there, I've always wanted to go.

I have the flexible Camp Green Ice 12 point aggressive crampons and have worn them on boots similar to that with no problems. If the heel area isn't stiff enough you can get chaffing on your heel but the platform of the crampon itself works well on about anything. PB my only worry with that boot would be the ankle area. Those soles look pretty rugged.

A few years ago, my ancient plastic Koflach double boots disintegrated on the rocks on Mt Adams in NH and I had to strap my crampons onto my leather/cordura light hikers. It sort of worked in a pinch, but I definately would not plan to go that route on the mountains you are talking about (or even Mt Adams again). I had trouble keeping the straps down on the boots, they kept creeping up my ankles and would loosen when they cleared the boot tops. I would also be glad to have a more rugged, stiffer, higher boot than those Lowas on a hike like you are describing, even when I wasn't using crampons.

Last edited:
PB, have you read this PDF from Lowa? Maybe it doesn't answer your question directly, but it suggests that several of the GTX models are suitable for crampons.

IMO, you can get away with using your boots with strap-on crampons. Remember that early mountaineers did just fine with more sketchy crampon attachments -- or without crampons altogether.

That said, I would attempt to try the crampons on your boots before it's too late to go plastic. I would hate to see you miss out on a high-altitude adventure. I love Adams -- seemed a bit more remote than Hood to me -- and Hood's a real gem too.

Papa,
Forget the old notion of strap on Crampons and see if she can get her hands on a set of Grivel G-10 New Classics or G-12 Newmatics. They feature the some of the best features of step-ins, but for semi-rigid boots.
these Crampons go on and off in a flash.

I also agree that you really want a better boot, and would recommend either a plastic boot (I use Koflach Variosoft) or a FGL mountaineering boot.

Good luck
Rick

Last edited:
Let me second the recommendation that you rent plastic boots.

Plastic boots look awfully uncomfortable, but the truth is that your foot is inside the foam lining, not in contact with the plastic "exoskeleton". They are, of course, heavier than hiking boots, and you do have to lift them with every step, but you will appreciate the support and total waterproofness.

It'll depend on the stiffness of the sole and and the flexibility of the crampon. Some crampons have a flexible "mode" as well as a stiff "mode". If you're using a stiff crampon with a flexible boot, you can fatigue the crampon. I'd imagine that the soles flexing will change the length of the sole in relation to the crampon, affecting fit.

If I understand the Adams route correctly, it's non-technical. A walking crampon should be fine on the route.

To answer you're question: You'll only know if the crampon is suitable for the boot by trying it on and keeping in mind the flexing issue. I think a strap on walker crampon, 10 or 12 points would work.

To address some other points that have been raised:

A full over gator works well to address waterproofness for the not yet winter hiker. I'd worry over a boot that fits vs. a rental that may. If it's really cold you loose heat through the thinner sole of a lighter boot when brought into contact with the colder metal of a crampon.

The new-matic binding is great, i wonder if it would work with your boot- the boots needs something on the heel for the crampon to snap onto.

Step-ins have been known to pop off, strap-ons undone, I would think a new-matic could pop off. A strap on or new-matic binding is much more likely to fit a different boot than a step in. That said, fiddling with iced over straps to get a crampon on or off in the cold is a major drag.

I used Grivel G-10's on my Lowa's this year and I wouldn't recommend doing it again, especially for an extended trip. You really need a stiffer boot so as not to feel each little bump under the teeth. What I use in the winter for traction with my Lowas is my MSR Denali snowshoes. Rent the boots! You will be happier in the long run. (Love my Lowas...)