CT Area closed to Hiking

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puck

Reaction score
While on a day hike on the CT AT, I asked the knowledgeable Chip if he ever hiked in Dudleytown just north of Cornwall Bridge CT. He said the AT once went through that area but has since been rerouted. Incedently the area is closed and arrests will be made for tresspassing. It was once open to birders, hikers and ghost hunters.

Here is a good link to a National Geographic article with further links. http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2002/10/1030_021030_BirdersJournal.html

I guess it is haunted, if you are a believer

i explored around Dudleytown many years ago, 10 or 12 years atleast. we didn't find much except the cellar holes, but on the way crossed some pretty streams and got to swing on a vine tarzan style.

there was a bit of strange wind and a bit of a chill though once we got to the area which was a little creepy. we carefully checked all our photos afterwards too for ghosts and stuff....didn't really find any :(

too bad its getting so hard to get in there.

That's a wonderful article, Chip. Interesting reading. Thanks for posting the link to it.

G.

Yep, thanks for the links guys. I never knew, and have been on the AT and Mohawk trails - the history just makes the area even more beautiful and mystifying.

Chip said:
Tell you what, I'll trade you my limited knowledge of where the A.T. was in Ct for your knowledge of our feathered friends, okay ? ;)

Here's one of those Dudleytown photos we were talking about, note the face in the tree on the left; http://www.cosmicsociety.com/images/tribal1.JPG

This is another article about the area that mentions the A.T. re-route and the Blue Dot Mohawk trail that now runs through there.

Its a deal.
So to understand that link...One can through hike on the Mohawk trail into Dudleytown? Do you think this will be in the CT Walks Book, Western Edition due out soon?

I'm not sure. The interviewed officer indicates if you're hiking through you won't get arrested. The Blue Trail goes through but technically you're trespassing. A couple of us should do it soon. Just have the guide book and backpacks and play dumb. As long as we're not there on Halloween and look like hikers (leave the keg home, Puck) I think we'd be fine.

Chip said:
I'm not sure. The interviewed officer indicates if you're hiking through you won't get arrested. The Blue Trail goes through but technically you're trespassing. A couple of us should do it soon. Just have the guide book and backpacks and play dumb. As long as we're not there on Halloween and look like hikers (leave the keg home, Puck) I think we'd be fine.

Count me in! The area sounds wonderfull, such heritage. I'll still bring the keg..."Wha beer Ossifer...Thishis a personal hydration zyztem."

I'd love to go also, I find haunted places very peaceful and interesting..... some of the best nights sleep I ever had were in places that were reputedly haunted...... I know we can't camp there, but I would like to check out the cellar holes and remnants of civilization. :)