Current Conditions for Dial and Nippletop?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

una_dogger

Reaction score
MichaelJ and I are considering heading over Dial and Nippletop on Saturday, just wondering if anyone's been out since the storm; and if so, how are the roads/trailheads?
Any ideas if the trail will be broken out at all by then?
(ok, you can all stop laughing now) :eek:
Thanks,
Sabrina

Last edited:
I do not know the current trail conditions, but I will probably see you on the trail if you are there. I am heading up to visit Nippletop and Dial (in that order).

As of today the roads are in good shape. Some drifting in spots from the wind.

As for the trail, Have fun.

Thanks, folks!

Spence, give us a shout if you'd be up for this !

Guinness, my guess is you are taking that route to increase the easier roadwalk at the start of your hike? Or to make sure you got the two 4ks in case the snow depth was really tiring?

I haven't done these two peaks before and was going to do Bear Den/Dial/Nippletop loop in that order. Any input would be appreciated.

Sabrina

Sabrina,

From the road, I use the cut-off trail which is past the start of the Gill Brook Trail approximately 0.5 miles. The start of the trail is located at a small sign:

P2050003.JPG

This goes around much of the Gill Brook trail that is rougher and slow going. From the road to the summit, you have about 3.1 miles to the summit of Nippletop and the majority of elevation for the day is done. It is a nice hike out going toward Dial - Bear Den with some variations as you cross over the shoulder of Noonmark. Only one steep section leaving the shoulder back to the road.

Ed

Are there any avalanche risks along this route? Any slides or places where self-arrest might be necessary?

If your doing Dial and Nippletop it is easier to go up the Bypass Trail first, (picture shown of that) and go through Elk Pass up. Then to Dial over Bear's Den. The real steepest section of this trail is the last mile to the summit of Nippletop. About a 1000' feet in that mile to ascend.

With the new snowfall and if not broken, I wouldn't be surprised if it took two hours or more for the last mile to the summit of Nippletop.

There are no slides on this route but the last mile to Nippletop is steep and difficult in the Winter time.

Michael,

I'll start heading down the road early, probably around 6:00 am. I like early starts. Years ago I broke trail on that steep section going up to Nippletop and I was never concerned with safety. I hope I am strong enough to do it again. See you on the trail.

Ed

In addition to the final steep push to the summit of nippletop, I think I remember one short and steep pitch on the trail from Elk Pass, nothing dangerous as far as I know but it was a short steep pitch. I did the loop with ajtiv this past summer.

Jay

Skyclimber said:
With the new snowfall and if not broken, I wouldn't be surprised if it took two hours or more for the last mile to the summit of Nippletop.

FWIW, It took three strong hikers over eight hours to do three uphill miles today in the deep unconsolidated snow. At just before 8am there was no one had headed in to any of the Ausable area peaks today.

Rik said:
FWIW, It took three strong hikers over eight hours to do three uphill miles today in the deep unconsolidated snow. At just before 8am there was no one had headed in to any of the Ausable area peaks today.

That would be roughly 2 3/4 hours per mile. :eek: Now that is alot of work!

Where did you go?

Skyclimber said:
That would be roughly 2 3/4 hours per mile. :eek: Now that is alot of work!

Where did you go?

We climbed Giant. It took 10.5 hours round trip.

I took only a few photos because it was cold and windy.

Rik said:
We climbed Giant. It took 10.5 hours round trip.

I took only a few photos because it was cold and windy.

I just read your report. Whew What a trip!! A bit scarey too by the sounds of it, slab fractures????

Skyclimber said:
I just read your report. Whew What a trip!! A bit scarey too by the sounds of it, slab fractures????

They weren't too scary as I didn't feel we were in any danger. I wouldn't want to be out on a slide this weekend.

Sorry to jack your thread Sabrina!

Saturday (2/17) the conditions on Dial and Nippletop were fresh and deep snow. I changed my route from the cut-off trail to the Leach Trail. I started up and found the going very slow. I spent 1.25 hours to go about 0.6 miles. Much of it was mid-thigh deep unconsolidated snow. Since I was travelling solo, I decided to head off and play on a more popular peak.

Here are a few pictures from the trail.

Last edited:
Sorry about that! I'm glad to hear, though, that we made the right decision to play elsewhere as well.

Wish I could see the pics, but every time I try it manages to crash my web browser (Safari on Mac OS X 10.4.8)...
:(

MichaelJ said:
Sorry about that! I'm glad to hear, though, that we made the right decision to play elsewhere as well.

Wish I could see the pics, but every time I try it manages to crash my web browser (Safari on Mac OS X 10.4.8)...
:(
I can see it, IE or Firefox with PC, WOW incredible the snow you had Guinness on that trail.