database of GPS routes?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imarchant

Reaction score
Is anyone aware of a location where GPS routes and/or tracks are available for exchange? It would be interesting to be able to share this data along with a trip description with other outdoor enthusiasts.

I have national geographics' topo software that has all of the adks on it. If anyone needs any, I can email them. The waypoints come in handy for peaks without markers on the summits.

DeLorme appears to be trying to start one for users of their software. It's on their Forums (forums.delorme.com) but there are only 5 posted routes so far.

At one point I had found a site where you could get coordinates of significant landmarks, but I can't seem to locate it again. I posted it either here, at AlpineZone, or at the AMC site.

I always download my track after each hike, so have a small private collection. I think the Topo source has just summit waypoints, not whole routes or tracks. I'll have to check out the Delorme site.

One thing I found is that the AMC White Mountains trail maps are almost dead on. My track followed the trail on the map very closely. I believe the AMC used GPS data when they last updated the maps which would explain their accuracy.

I only have a couple of tracks to compare against the ADK trail map, but those two tracks do not follow the trail on the map as closely as the AMC trail map.

MichaelJ said:
DeLorme appears to be trying to start one for users of their software. It's on their Forums (forums.delorme.com) but there are only 5 posted routes so far.

At one point I had found a site where you could get coordinates of significant landmarks, but I can't seem to locate it again. I posted it either here, at AlpineZone, or at the AMC site.

This site http://www.topografix.com/data.asp has litterally millions of waypoints

I use the National Geoghaphic software with my Garmin GPS but check the accuracy of any trails on the map against the AMC map as there are some inaccuracies on the software version.

The NGTopo site has a lot of maps drawn up by just using the tool and following the trail on the map. Suggesting where to hike. Not accurate trails. They are not real recorded tracks imported from a properly setup gps. The other brands seem to be the same. Maybe things have changed this past year with these.

I wound't use them unless you know if they were recorded and loaded into the map via gps.

I record all my hikes in active track form for use later either going back or to see the details of the day. i.e. how long it took to get down to a specific point, how many hours,etc.

It would be nice to have a credible outfit post or sell proven tracks to be downloaded. But to use them in the gps requires the tracks to be in Garmin form,Magellan,etc. quite the task.

Also there is liability problems.

If anyone wants tracks for hikes in N.H. name the mountain and trail. They're Garmin. Let me know I'll email the file if I have that one. From Mapsource files. If I have one it's yours.

Last edited: