Death on Mt Rainier

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Rooney

Reaction score
It goes without saying that everyone is glad Paradox and Chip made it out, and more importantly - back - safely from Rainier.

Another hiker wasn't so lucky, and died between Paradise and Camp Muir. There's a short news article here:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2004469055_apwamountrainierfatalurgent.html

When the weather's good, the trip between these two points seems most benign. After all, Muir's only about 10K', right? But, when it socks in, or worse - it storms, then people have died.

Edit - here's a more detailed account:

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/19723464.html

Last edited:
While enjoying all the great trip reports from Rainier and points N and W yesterday, I glanced at the NWS website that showed a heavy snow warning beliw 3500'. So, checking the forecast for Rainier, they were forecasting -6 F and 45 MPH winds for the summit. I wondered if all the climbers were prepared for a winter storm more characteristic of the Presis in March than the Cascades in June. Wow, tough. I feel very bad for the hikers and their families.
Weatherman

weatherman said:
I wondered if all the climbers were prepared for a winter storm more characteristic of the Presis in March than the Cascades in June.
I've only now done the up and down to Muir twice. 6/1 we were in tee shirts worried about and getting sun burned, very pleasant hike in early spring conditions. 6/5 we needed every piece of winter gear we had, including face masks, goggles and GPS to get out safely with guides. If you were a local familiar with the area you might be tempted to just "head up" not completly prepared, but they post conditions everywhere. A tragedy similar to those we saw here this year.

One thing I did notice was that almost nobody carries snow shoes. If they do they're the small msr's. Our conditions were snow on top of slush on 6/5. It would have been VERY difficult, if not impossible, heading up with no shoes if there was more snow.

Last edited:
Do you think the small msr s would have helped in that storm, or is it important to get the proper size?

grog

I would actually say climbing these peaks in June (or anytime in summer) is like climbing the Pressies in march. - you don't know what your going to get and it could be a nice warm day or freezing day. and if your at high camp,you better be dialed in with stuff - b/c you are not re-treating to treeline in most cases.

Lots of ways to die on Rainier - stuff happens. It's a big mountain. But - like every peak - more people are successfull than die - like I say - stuff happens.

RIP climber

grog said:
Do you think the small msr s would have helped in that storm, or is it important to get the proper size?

grog
on the way down on thursday, near where they were, the ice was either blown clean or the light powder snow had drifted deep. further down it was 6" of snow over 12" of slush. tough conditions to be heading up in. small msr's may have helped some, but most hikers had no snowshoes at all. NOBODY I saw had shoes I would consider the right size for those conditions.