Do partridges "bark"

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adk_dib

Reaction score
I was going to Eagle in the catskills and came across 3 small brown birds. I assume they were partidges. Two ran off, the third walked in front of me on the trail and sounded exactly like a whimpering puppy dog. :confused:
I figured it was scared, but it seemed to follow me for about 30 feet (whimpering all the way).

Adk_dib said:
I was going to Eagle in the catskills and came across 3 small brown birds. I assume they were partidges. Two ran off, the third walked in front of me on the trail and sounded exactly like a whimpering puppy dog. :confused:
I figured it was scared, but it seemed to follow me for about 30 feet (whimpering all the way).
Probably a grouse. Usually, I hear a chirping sound, but I guess you could call it a whine. They are sometimes very aggressive, and often do the broken wing trick to lure you away from their nest.

What you most probubly came across were three Spruce Grouse. Partidge are extremely wary and shy, unless you are very close to their nest. Spruce Grouse are not at all afraid of humans and have been known to curiously follow hikers for some distance. They also make some very strange sounds.