Do the Catskills have slides?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adk_dib

Reaction score
I was just looking at a photo I took from mckensie of the centinal range near Lake Placid. It had a slide coming down it and it started me wondering. I have never seen a slide in the Catskills. I have done 15 of the catskill peaks and have only been climbing them for 3 years so I am no expert. You would think with the loose shale rocks they would have more. Am I wrong about this?

Friday Mtn. had a pretty good slide on it that occurred in 1968. It's pretty well grown over now.We climbed it about 2 weeks after it happened in 1968 it was quite impressive for the Catskills. I will have to see if I have any old photos tucked away somewhere.

Last edited:
There are some slides in the Catskills. Not as nice as the ones in the Adirondacks. There were discussed in this VFTT thread, and I added a little more info in this adkhighpeaks thread.

edit. With some reservations I will also add that there is a very recent slide on the steep slopes of Dink (the 3655' false summit south of Cornell). It is very remote, and well below the summit of this dastardly, thickly vegetated, blankedy blank gem. This has been reported and discussed on the 3500 club's list server. To my knowledge no one has yet reached it. I do not recommend seeking it out currently. Although it may have stabilized, Catskill slides are notoriously unstable and typically continue to slide for several years.

Last edited:
Raymond said:
Now you've done it, piquing our interest. Where is this again?
If you are asking about the Dink slide, this is the summit of Dink. The top of the slide is perhaps 500' down the steep eastern slope and just a bit to the north, right side when viewed from the Ashokan Reservoir.

I mention it because it is visible (more so with binoculars or telephoto lens), and some might mistake it for the Friday slide which is a popular route to the summits of Friday and Balsam Cap. That slide is also on the eastern slopes of Friday (between Balsam Cap and Friday).

The Dink Slide most likely started during or just after the heavy rains of Monday, June 19, 2006. This was about a week before the heavy rains that closed Route 23A and caused flooding in many areas of the Catskills. The slide was first reported on June 21, 2006 on the 3500 Club's Yahoo Group list server. Instructions to join the Yahoo group are on the Catskill 3500 Club website.

I was being facetious, Mark, knowing that the phrase ‘‘no one has yet reached it’’ would prick up a lot of ears around here. As a guy I used to know might have said (with a French accent), ‘‘Is that a challanzhe?’’

Dink

I bow again to you Mark, and your superior knowledge of the Catskills (in particular).
I did not know that the hog back between Cornell and Friday had a name. By the way - I was just on Dink this past Sat. and I found it to be no more thick then any other spot in the range. And no, I did not come up the escarpment side- I came over from the Neversink side. I did find a lost lexan water bottle with puncture marks from what must be a bear or one of the largest porcupines ever seen. :D on it.