Do you carry avalanche gear when hiking?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What avalanche gear do you carry? (can select multiple answers)

• Beacons

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Probes

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Shovel

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • Snow Kit

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Other

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • None of the above

Votes: 46 79.3%

• Total voters

blacklab2020

Reaction score
Clarksville, MD Avatar: Babo, SE Arete, Summit
All winter Hiking trips considered: Do you carry avalanche gear?

If so, are there particular areas that convince you to (i.e. gulfside trail on jefferson near edmunds col, huntingtons ravine, etc)

1. Beacons
2. Probes
3. Shovels
4. Snow Kits

I don't carry any avalanche gear when I am on a hiking trail and I answered the poll question as such. I DO carry an avalanche beacon, probe and shovel when I am ice climbing in Huntington (or similar area) and the rating is at moderate and so should my partner. If the Avy rating is at considerable I don't go.

Last edited:
I haven't carried the gear on hiking trips, since I have not hiked in avalanche terrain. I will often carry a shovel, not because of avalanche risk, but in case I need to build an emergency snow shelter.

Halite said:
I haven't carried the gear on hiking trips, since I have not hiked in avalanche terrain. I will often carry a shovel, not because of avalanche risk, but in case I need to build an emergency snow shelter.

Ditto here! I carry snow shovel + snow saw (only because it fits into my shovel), only for digging myself in, in case of an emergency.

Fish

blacklab2020 said:
All winter Hiking trips considered: Do you carry avalanche gear?

If so, are there particular areas that convince you to (i.e. gulfside trail on jefferson near edmunds col, huntingtons ravine, etc)

1. Beacons
2. Probes
3. Shovels
4. Snow Kits

I carry the above when the terrain and potential conditions dictate; and of course know how/practice using them.Although with that said it is interesting where Avys in the Whites have occured where one might not think they would. :eek:

Only time I ever did was when being guided in huntington ravine. I tend to avoid the terrain when above moderate. I have rolled the dice a couple of times too - can't say I am proud of it - but it happened.

hiking never - I know the spot your talking about on the gulfside, crossed it a few times. I have heard it has slid at times, but I have never heard of anythone getting caught there. Thats a decent 30-35 degree slope - so primo place to slide - IMO. But - its also pretty high on the slope, if my memory is correct. nevertheless, always a place to cross with caution.

I have always thought under the right cirsumstances the washington snowfields could slide as well - but I have never heard of that happening either - esp the east snowfeilds and ones near ball crag. anyone wants to practice cramponing - thats a great place, nice and windblown snow! But - I am a real novice with ava stuff, so not sure on the above statements to be honest.

I would like to get a beacon, etc.. - but man - they are $$$$ -

couple of trips I have planned for this winter, I will likely rent some gear. :)

Last edited:
I have only carried avy equipment in thre place in the east . Tukerman Ravine Huntington Ravine and the great gulf in ther i carry a shovle anda probe to test how deep a snow bridge over the river is .
Out West icary a probe , and beacon in the srping mostly late May June and early July .In the winter on the few peaks i have climbed i adda shovel and a light weight linner slleping abg along with a stove, pad and a full frist aid kit .
I also carry a frist in the east . .

If I am camping with a tent i do carry ashovel but i have not done that since my logging accident .

If you dopaln to climb in the ravines or out west it is a good idea to take a avalanche course . Though snow pack is very differnt in the Rocklies than hear or the Serra or Cscades . Each has it's unique charcteristics and it isa good idea to at least read up on eachg place you intenred to go . ,.ter reallyis not much Avy dangereout side of a few palces in he Presisand daks that Avalanche . Though it is cool to spend a few days in tuckerman raivine espcailly during and after a snowsrorm you might see a aavalanch and there is some nice hiking below treeline you can do .

If you wanto learn a bit get mountaoiniering Freedom of the hills and bring it have fun with snowpits and outher testing in places well away from oter hikers and climbers .

Avalanche

I am not really into that kind of excitment and so I tend to avoid the more risky winter routes, like going up the throat of snow-choked ravines. I tend to use ridges as my avenue to the summit, where there is less snow and less avalanche risk. In the east it is almost a given that a less dangerous route can be found to the summit, and I take it. But there are some mountains out west that I do intend to climb that are glaciated (even in the summer)- and I will be carrying more gear for that kind of climb.

Latest posts