Does a slowing economy change how much you Hike

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How will the decline in World economic Markets change your hiking habits

• Nothing will change I hike no matter what!

Votes: 39 45.3%
  • I will hike less because it cost me money because I have less money to spend.

Votes: 18 20.9%
  • I have other places I can cut costs so I can Hike anyhow just like I always have.

Votes: 28 32.6%
  • I will not hike at all until economic times get better.

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters

skiguy

Reaction score
With the slowing of the World Economy, increased Gas Prices, and the possibility of having less work and income...will this change how much you hike? Historically there has been a decline in out door use during tougher economic times. Memberships are already down in many outdoor clubs; Has the decline already started or are we just seeing a demographic switch in the average outdoor user/hiker?

Last edited:
In the grand scheme of things, hiking is a rather inexpensive hobby. Considering I already own all the gear for my four regular hobbies (name them if you can ;)), consider:

1) bicycling - It's actually cash-positive for me now since I'm not driving to races, paying entry fees, and commuting to work 3+ days per week on my bicycle saves me gas money.

2) hiking - It costs me money to drive and buy an annual parking pass, but there isn't really any other fee involved.

3) skiing - drive time is commensurate with hiking. XC costs ~ $17 per day for a trail pass. Alpine is (shudder) $50+/- (times four!)

4) fishing - If I'm already at the lake, the net cost is zero, or possibly a small amount of fuel if I take the boat out. It's the ocean fishing that is expensive with Marine diesel at $4+.

I will actually try to carpool more, and do more peaks per trip, as the cost goes up. The real limiter is time for me.

I actually think if more people cycled (to work) regularly it would address some of the top issues on the current campaign trail:

Economy, global warming, energy independence: It would cut back on fuel consumption, reducing greenhouse gases and freeing up cash that previously went into the gas tank.

Health care: It would reduce many of the preventable health care problems associated with sedentary lifestyles.

So, everybody vote for Steve and ride your bike more!

Tim

Nope, wouldn't stop me hiking, heck, I can go for a hike from my backyard.

I may carpool with others to get there but it hasn't really affected my hobbies.

I already am a fairly frugal guy as I rather conserve than foolishly spend, doesn't matter what the economy is doing but that is just me.

Jay

Right now economic conditions are making me think about hiking. The USCG base I work for just laid off 2 contract physician assistants. I am the only contract PA left and there is a good chance I may get laid off early next summer when the next group of active duty CG PA's graduates from PA school. I am socking away money and keeping to activities closer to home like kayaking and bike riding. Of course will never give up on my running. I do have a couple of trail runs planned for the fall but these are about a 2 hr drive away from home. Driving to a trail in the Cats or ADK's involves 4-8 hours of driving each way. On a brighter note, gas around my house is $2.90 a gallon for regular unleaded

My situation is very fortunate right now that the only place where I will feel a direct increase (although gas prices have been declining) is transportation to the mountains, which will still not be something I can't afford to budget for.

So I will do my part and keep hitting the mountains and supporting the surrounding local businesses during my visits.

Little change. Gas adds maybe $10-20 a trip, which is divided between my friend and I.

Hiking was one pursuit when we were kids that my parents could kill a day without much costs. If anything, hiking is one of the cheapest activities out there. Of course, I have already dropped the $3k on equipment and won't need much more. But, it's pretty cheap to walk up a hill and back.

bikehikeskifish said:
I actually think if more people cycled (to work) regularly it would address some of the top issues on the current campaign trail:

Tim

You know with the Bailout bill past last week the senate attached the Tax Extender Bill (H.R. 6049) to it. Within is a provision, Bicycle Commuter Tax Benefit Provision a fringe benefit for bicycle commuters. The bill allows employer to provide employees that bike commute to work to offset the cost of bicycle commuting (e.g., bicycle storage).

http://commutebybike.com/2008/05/30/commuter-tax-benefit/

FAQ

work's a bit whacky right now demanding most of my attention and energy.
eg: instead of taking advantage of the semi-holiday on monday and making this a 3 day weekend in NH, I'm working a half day tomorrow and monday. :mad:

Perhaps something local here Saturday afternoon and Sunday, though. :)

DaveSunRa said:
You know with the Bailout bill past last week the senate attached the Tax Extender Bill (H.R. 6049) to it. Within is a provision, Bicycle Commuter Tax Benefit Provision a fringe benefit for bicycle commuters. The bill allows employer to provide employees that bike commute to work to offset the cost of bicycle commuting (e.g., bicycle storage).

http://commutebybike.com/2008/05/30/commuter-tax-benefit/

FAQ

From reading that and others, it seems that addendum is more of an employer tax benefit as it will allow companies to write off $20/month in the form of bike commuter facilities, locks, racks, showers, etc. Or for companies to pass that benefit onto bike commuters.

Frankly, where i work, I have a better chance of getting run over by a pack of green elephants before they ever look to bike commuting as a viable alternative to parking lots and driving but I guess I am also lucky that I do what i want and have not yet been hassled for parking my bike in my cubicle and the like. Frankly, I get to laugh because I have a better parking spot than the CEO. :p

P.S. there's always MAGIC, Chip ;)

Jay

I made my last trip north to Killlington this week.
I chose the last option voting but I will continue to hike the shortest possible distances from home, not to exceed 40 miles roundtrip (once per week) and preferably no more than 20 a few other days per week.
Being "retired"my income is fixed and like so many others, I am watching my retirement investments evaporate daily.
Every penny counts if I do not want to lose my home. No more Starbucks-snacks-and frivolous purchases of any kind until this mess is resolved.

Last edited:
I chose the first option but it's not hiking the way I'd like. Instead of making the number of trips to the WMNF to do the type of hiking I really like, I've had to do more local hiking. RI hiking trails are in good shape since pretty much nobody uses them but they are for the most part uneventful. Other than coming out to a nice small lake or medium sized pond or "summiting" a ledge, there isn't much rewarding about RI hiking trails. But still they are close by, get me outdoors and allow me to practice my land navigation skills. I've also taken to hiking more in the Blue Hills of MA. It's good hiking and more economical than traveling to the Whites.

I still go to the Whites, just not as often as I'd like. As far as hobbies go, hiking and kayaking are pretty cheap for me right now since have all the needed gear already bought and paid for.

I am self-employed, so if the economy impacts my work load, I will likely hike more, as I will have more free time! :eek:

I do a lot of hiking locally, so I don't think the slowing economy will change my habits much.

I may not be planning a trip to Maine to hike anytime soon...

I would agree - I will continue to hike. But I will be cutting back on eating out - either before (breakfast) or after (dinner) a hike. I will also be making my own sandwiches, rather than picking up something on the way.

This summer while I was finishing up my NEHH, I tried to group peaks and trips so that I wasn't driving to Vermont just for a day hike. Although I did spend money on a motel room or campsite, it still was cheaper than buying gas for two or three roundtrips.

What the economy will do to my hiking is keep me local (mostly NH). Those trips to the Grand Canyon, Bryce, Zion, Arches, etc. are off my list for the time being.

Little Bear

I've been a hiker for a long time, and this year I got into fly fishing in a big way so I've been heading north more this year than ever. Living well is the best revenge.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been making fewer, but longer, trips. It doesn't make economic sense to spend $40 for gas to do a dayhike, but I can rationalize spending that much on gas for a three day backpacking weekend.

Thanks for the replies. Glad to see that question #1 has the highest percentage of responses. Good to know there are alot of diehards here. :)

wardsgirl said:
I've been making fewer, but longer, trips. It doesn't make economic sense to spend $40 for gas to do a dayhike, but I can rationalize spending that much on gas for a three day backpacking weekend.

I haven't been backpacking, but I have been going north for two day trips, and car camping overnight.

Gas prices have dropped below my tipping point, but I'm not expecting to see $2.50 a gallon. Sorry Timmus & Neil :p

We just purchased a home within bicycle commuting distance from both our jobs, and increased personal time and decreased gas consumption during the work week was a large contributing force to our decision to move to a more urban area. Certainly long term economic trends coupled with fuel prices/oil dependance drove our choice; eg; purchasing a natural gas heated home vs oil. It came down to a trade off -- having more time and money to spend on our weekend recreational pursuits and urbanizing our weeknights. I don't think the current economy is having a direct impact on our hiking, but in the longterm -- we've made changes that will ensure that we will always be doing what we love, no matter what the cost. The true cost of giving up such an important part of life to me, is immeasurable.

I'll still hike just how far I'll go and how much $ I spend may be modified some. Getting out for a hike is vital break from the world that I need real bad sometimes. Can't cut back on that medicine.