Drinking Hot Water from the tap

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
Thanks for posting Tom. Lead is still a concern, even though most things are "lead-free" these days. Last week and weekend I was working on scraping, sanding and re-staining a small piece of furniture and while doing the scraping, it occured to me that one of the layers of old paint was probably about 40 years old, and probably contained lead. I wore a mask and tried to avoid breathing the dust.

I always boil cold tap water for water bottles, tea, etc.

Matt

Lead has been known to be a poison since the fall of the Roman Empire but like asbestos, which has long been known to kill people over time, it has been only recently that either have been banned from uses that are likely to make it into our bodies. The presence of lead in tap water can be from lead in old water lines. In Massachusetts, lead was banned from solder but many old pipes and joints contain solder containing lead. Lead can also be found in water fixtures ... watch what you buy from China ... that can also leach into your tap water.

If you are concerned about lead in your pipes, have the water tested. Public water suppliers in Massachusetts are required to provide reports of the contents of the water, including lead, but that does not guarantee that it won't leach into the water from within your building.

Lead in your body can build up over time; children are most susceptible to its damage. If you are concerned about lead in your body, a simple blood test might put your mind at ease.

Bottom line to me is that I am not bothered by the occasional use of hot tap water when filling my water bottle in winter.