Drysuit for Hiking

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paradox

Reaction score
Holderness, NH, Avatar: Pine Marten on Mt Field
I was reading over Marty’s thread on good footwear for torrential rain and it got me thinking. Windsurfers and small boat sailors often wear “drysuits” for whole days and perhaps several days in the cold and wet. Has anyone tried hiking in a dry suit? If not, this spring is the time to try it.

Yeah, ditto what NH_Mtn_Hiker said.. Not sure if you're serious but a drysuit would be insanely hot on a hike, even in spring. At least a full drysuit, complete with booties. Not to mention that you'd look like Aquaman

If you wear one, do you need to hike with a PFD? :D

Jay

cantdog said:
Yes, drysuits are sweat traps indeed. They are best worn with a 200wt liner inside.
So you can end up with a sweat soaked liner? :)

I used to wear wool long underwear inside my wet suit. IMO, wool is warmer than fleece when soaked. Wool will also absorb more moisture than fleece.

Doug

What Julie said, drysuits as far as diving/paddling is concerned almost requires immersion to be comfy. I don't own a drysuit but I do have a short sleeve drytop for spring paddling. Let me tell you on the few days in spring where you can get a heatwave into the 80s, but the water still cold, wearing that drytop is damm near uncomfortable cause they are hot. At that point, I am dipping my paddling hat in the water and wearing that!

Jay

24775_09

Cheaper than a climbing suit or a drysuit!

Jay

Last edited:
With all the new high tec hiking gear out there, don't you think Parodox was just joking out of boredom from painting?

I have hiked (and skied) in my 3/2 neoprene wetsuit. You're plenty warm, but the chafing gets to you: hiking motions are not the same as surfing motions. Not a project I'm likely to repeat. Skiing, on the other hand, worked better.

giggy said:
you would bet better off making a suit out of a big garbage sack - ;)

I think Saran Wrap would work better. You could do more layers for additional warmth, wrap body parts separately to facilitate personal functions... use the colored stuff for a fashion statement... the possibilities are endless!

Then, if you have any left over lunch, unreel a bit from one arm, wrap the leftover and you're good to go!