Duct Tape Anti-Bot Plates?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stash

Reaction score
I noticed a post on using duct tape as an anti-bot plate for crampons. I'll he heading up Carter Dome tomorrow and expect the warm weather to create the sticky snow that always balls up on my older Tubbs Ventures. The crampons on these have no real way to attach a conventional anti-bot plate but anything would be a help.

I'm thinking of wrapping the bases to cover rivets in in duct (or Gorilla) tape in the hope that it will reduce the sticking. Not a lot of faith but I figure it's worth a shot. I've also heard of using non-stick cooking spray but question ho long that would really last.

Experiences and suggestions welcome. Else I'll be poking them with a pole every 20 steps or so.

Thanks...

Once upon a time I tried something similar--taping sheet mylar to my crampon frames. Didn't last. (Don't recall if it helped, but it didn't matter since it didn't stay on.) I think part of the theory behind anti-bot plates is that they are flexible and the flexing breaks the packed snow off. Hard to do with tape. Wrapping the frame with tape might last longer. IIRC, I used glass-fiber packing tape which is probably more robust than duct tape.

Doug

You might be able to adapt the old milk-bottle trick.

http://www.tetonat.com/2008/07/diy-crampon-anti-bot-plates/

I was just being extra lazy, and experimenting to see if just tape would be any good. Obviously not very durable, but just by keeping snow out of the gap between the vertical rails on my Rambos I hope it will make a difference.

You mean this??? http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=33362 :D

I tried using the same setup as on the crampons but attaching them is the problem. Not a lot of points to connect to.

And I agree on the flex being the process behind the plates DougPaul. I was just hoping for some alternative and nartreb's though looked worth a shot.

Thanks to both for replying.

I have tried a similar method to the one Natreb posted and used zip ties. Haven't tried them yet so they may or may not work. On another note I don't believe you will not need crampons to do Carter Dome from either direction. 19MB trail is packed and could be walked without traction. Lots of people going in today to stay at the hut and just out hiking. CM trial up from the hut will be more problematic with the warm temps. Early yesterday (12/30) we went up from the hut. Used snowshoes the whole way and they were perfect. A number of people went down before us and with the sun hitting that face all day the snow got real loose. Once on the steeps many slid down and that took out the "snowshoe steps" that we came up. Much harder going down without the "steps". My guess is that many going up today will pack it more and probably make "bareboot steps". If it stays warm as predicted (37 when we left hut this AM) these may or may not be there but either way I don't think there will be anything solid enough for crampons. From Zeta Pass fewer hikers as of yesterday but again just snow pack. Postholing may be a bigger problem if the trails aren't tightly packed like 19MB.
Either way..Have a great time.

I have tried a similar method to the one Natreb posted and used zip ties. Haven't tried them yet so they may or may not work. On another note I don't believe you will not need crampons to do Carter Dome from either direction. ..
Either way..Have a great time.

Thanks and I'm expecting snow shoes over crampons without doubt, hence the expected problem and post. And I used the zip-tie method with my crampons the fall of '08/09 and yet to need them! Snow shoes all the way last winter.

The last time on that steep up above the hut I was coming down on a day like tomorrow is supposed to be. Nothing worked. I'll be going up it hoping that it will result in less butt slides (though likely a face-plant or two).

The plastic in a bottle of bleach (Clorox or the generic chlorine housebrand) is pretty tough. You might give it a try. Have seen a few people using it, and they claimed it held up pretty well.

Last edited:
The plastic is a bottle of bleach (Clorox or the generic chlorine housebrand) is pretty tough. You might give it a try. Have seen a few people using it, and they claimed it held up pretty well.
IIRC, my problem was the tape and not the mylar film. And, of course, they didn't work well enough to leave on...

Doug

Note that I'm talking about the crampons on my snow shoes. The problem is that there's nowhere to attach the plastic plates (bleach bottle or other materials) using rivets or zip-ties without cutting holes in the decking of the snow shoe.

Off to find some cooking spray for today's slushfest. But slush sure beats couch!

To do the snowshoe crampons you'll have to remove the screws or rivets holding them to the pivot bar, then installl the plastic to fit the cup of teh crampons n replace the screws in their proper holes again.

To do the snowshoe crampons you'll have to remove the screws or rivets holding them to the pivot bar, then installl the plastic to fit the cup of teh crampons n replace the screws in their proper holes again.

Ouch. Maybe I'll just live with it...

What about..

using some kind of silicone type material, paint or even a layer of caulking made of this material applied onto the crampons. Will that work?

using some kind of silicone type material, paint or even a layer of caulking made of this material applied onto the crampons. Will that work?
They will probably help (snow is more likely to stick to metal than the above), but probably not as much as formal anti-bot plates which also flex to break the snow off and help keep snow out of one's boot cleats.

Doug

Agree if it would last. Often the weather that makes for wet snow exposes rocks and I've never been overly kind to my snow shoes.