Early Winter Catskill Hikes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
Here's what I've got planned for early winter so far:

12/21 - Fir, Big Indian, Eagle - From Burnham Hollow Rd. Early start!

12/24 - Sugarloaf and Plateau from the South end of Mink Hollow Rd. (from the 16 side), hike starts at 9:00. Carpool from Tannersville around 8:30.

email for details...

Last edited:
Tom,
I may be able ot make the Christmas eve hike, but I got to check with the wife first. I may not get the nod until the Friday.

I'd also like to hike on X-mas Eve before I head up to Albany that night. Possibilities for that day include North Dome/Sherrill, KHP, Peek/Table, or maybe even something else. Kind of depends on who else might be interested. Anyone interested? I may hike the day after X-mas as well, but that would probably have to be a shorter one, since I'd be coming back down from Albany. I may just do Rusk w/ the 3500 Club that day. On the 27th, I may climb Indian Head and Twin w/ Jay H, if he's still interested, and if I can get the day off.

New Years Eve I'm doing Friday/BC w/ ERD and the Club. I have a gig in Fleischmanns that night, and I might be able to stay at the place I'm playing. I may be up for hiking on New Year's Day, and/or the Monday after. I still need Fir/Big Indian/Eagle, and I'd still love to hit all three in a day, via the Burnham Hollow access that Tom and co. are doing Weds. This would require a real early start or a fairly fast pace. Perhaps in Jan. this hike can happen.

Matt

Cantdog, feel free to let us in on your plans... i.e. just post here is fine! :)

Matt, TMax is joinging me on Indian Head and Twin, let me know if you can make it!

Jay

Jay H said:
Matt, TMax is joinging me on Indian Head and Twin, let me know if you can make it!

I did get the day off, so I'm in for 12/27.

Coldfeet and I might go for North Dome and Sherrill this Saturday, X-mas Eve.
We'll want to start no later than 8 at the absolute latest-that means we're moving along the trail at 8. We'd probably go in from Spruceton Rd. on the Devils Path, over North Dome to Sherrill and back, or possibly leave a car over on 42, so we can just continue west over Sherrill. Actually, the second option might be easier. We would meet at the little lot on 42 to leave a car, and then drive down to the western end of the DP to start the hike. Anyhow, we could definitely use some trail-breaking help if anyone wants to hike that day. Post or PM if interested.

Matt

Hey Matt, can't make anything before the 27th... I will be in south Jersey for Christmas and wont be in the area here til the 26th....

Have fun!

Jay

help

I'd "second" that request for another hiker or two to help break trail, I didn't do such a good job last time....thx

Matt...sounds like warmer weather coming, how do u think the conditions would be? sloshy?

Wouldn't expect too much different, if you are looking at weather in LI/NYC, bear in mind that it's colder in the cats and also at altitude...

The rain that may fall on christmas might actually be snow up there!

jay

Wanted Catskill Winter Hike

I have off from 12/22/05 - 01/05/06 and was hoping to get out on the trail, if anyone is planning a Catskill 3500 hike I'd love to tag along.
The only day I'm tied up doing the "Family Thing" would be 12/24

Thanks Bill

It looks like Coldfeet and I will be hitting Fir and Big Indian on Sat. if anyone's interested. We plan to take advantage of the trail Tom and Laurie broke! :D
We'll start from Biscuit Brook around 8, maybe a little before or after. If interested please PM me or post here.

Matt

CrisisBill said:
I have off from 12/22/05 - 01/05/06 and was hoping to get out on the trail, if anyone is planning a Catskill 3500 hike I'd love to tag along.
The only day I'm tied up doing the "Family Thing" would be 12/24

Thanks Bill
I'm off from work 8 of the 10 days 12/23-1/2/06. I'd like to do 1 or 2 hikes between 12/26 and 12/30 and possible 1/2/06. I'm especially interested in Fir, Doubletop, Friday, Balsam Cap, Rusk, SW Hunter, Hunter, since these are my remaining 3500s.

Manaded to hit 8 canister peaks in the last couple weeks, and everything I have left is on-trail:

-Peekamoose/Table
-Eagle
-Kaaterskill High Peak
-Twin/Indian Head
-West Kill

That's probably roughly the order in which I'd like to climb them as well. I may do Peekamoose/Table this Sat. or Sun., depending on the weather, if anyone's interested. If anyone needs Balsam for their winter requirement, I might also be up for doing that along with Eagle.

Jay H will be finishing his winter 35 on KHP, probably within the next two weeks, so I'll look for his plan for that one. The last three peaks listed above will probably be towards the end of January.

Matt

Matt, I'll try Balsam/Eagle on Sunday if that's good for you. Paul Ron on the site was possibly interested in that also with some of his friends..