El Cap Gully

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blacklab2020

Reaction score
Clarksville, MD Avatar: Babo, SE Arete, Summit
Anyone have first hand experience climbing the el capitan gully. Havent had much luck searching the net. I am looking for a brief description of the difficulty. I have heard it is fourth class with some very exposed sections.

Any other opinions would be great.

~Justin

That was the best website I found when I looked into this route.
Unfortunately I have only gotten as far as scouting the approach to the route and talking with some of the Yosemite guides in the valley climbing store.
The main beta was "stay left" in the upper reaches where it becomes true class 4 and as you may have guessed, dry weather is a major plus and also that it is possible to add KP Pinnacle from the backside via the same Gully. I was scoping it out in October and was able to park near the base- first dirt lot on right past El Cap Meadow, join large trail at base of valley, west to major (dry) streambed and follow up to right.........
Apparently this was the first route up the steep side of El Cap. This is top of my (unroped) list for the valley -perhaps with descent down Eagle Creek :rolleyes:
When are we going neighbor :p