Elk Lake gate?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reekee said:
Is the entrance gate to Elk lake and the Dix range locked for winter? It was several years ago. Have things changed?

It is a routine that the gate is closed every Winter. I believe it is four miles round trip on the road.

The Gate

The Coreys road gate to the Seward's has remained open due to road conditions, which is a 6 mile difference. I was hoping it would also be true of this gate. It was closed in 2000 for sure.

The Elk Lake - Clear Pond Preserve property map indicates a distance of about 1.9 mi from the gate at Clear Pond to the State trailhead parking lot.

G.

Yes!

I knew it felt more like 4 miles. :) But I was really cold and tired at the time, and I was being haunted by a stack buttermilk pancakes and a hot cup of coffee. You know what I mean?

Reekee said:
The Coreys road gate to the Seward's has remained open due to road conditions, which is a 6 mile difference.

It's actually closer to 7 miles difference. What a nightmare after doing the Seward Range! :eek: But the extra four miles on the Elk Lake Road is a nightmare too, after the Dix Range. Ah the "joys of Winter Climbing."

Corey's Road

I've hiked the Corey's road a few times now. Two winter ago, by the grace of God the gate was open and the road was drivable! I teeheed and giggled as I drove all the way to the trailhead and hooted and hollered all the way out. :)