Elk Lake trails close 10/14

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkL

Reaction score
Canton, NY. Avatar: Mt. Washington in Winter:
Just so nobody is unpleasantly surprised by this easy-to-forget detail:
The gate will close on Sunday afternoon the 14th of October. The easement lands and the trails on them will not be open to the public. The trails will re-open the 2nd or 3rd of December*, but the gate at Clear Pond will still be closed, adding 1.5 or 2 miles each way.
*2nd or 3rd I was given these 2 different dates by two knowledgeable sources. I guess it means they will re-open after dusk on Dec. 2 when big game season is officially over. So Dec. 3 is the first full day they'll be open again. I'll try to confirm this.

For those concerned, the road walk is extremely mellow. Very flat and very fast. There's always the option of the Bouquet River Route, Saint Huberts, or Lost Pond.

I contacted someone at DEC. He confirmed my thoughts on the difference in re-opening dates. He also says it's best to keep just one date in mind. December 3. If the other date is mentioned, the condition that it's only after dusk may be not be mentioned with it, and people might trespass earlier in the day.
The ELL caretaker also said the gates would be closed Sunday afternoon, Oct. 14, and the trails would be closed to the public.
What provisions ELL makes for their guests beyond this date is beyond the scope of this posting. :)

Strange that the ELL website doesn't mention a closing date either. I could have sworn that they mentioned a close date last year.

Latest posts