Eulogy for my backpack (1995-2006)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blacknblue

Reaction score
I bought a EMS 2000 backpack way back in the summer of 1995 (or so) in Burlington, Vermont. It was my bread and butter backpack for my hiking trips, bike rides, and international flights. I stuffed it full of books and binders for school; I stuffed it full of day planners and bag lunches for work; I stuffed it full of clothes and water bottles for hikes. It has carried skis, boots, cameras, maps, books, and spare socks. It has been to Maine and California and Asia and mountaintops and valleys and many places in between. I love that old green backpack.
Over the years, it has burst a seam here or there. Some buckles have broken and I have quickly replaced them. I cleaned it by hand and mended its wounds. I have dried it when wet, warmed it when cold, and aired it out when stinky from hauling my hiking socks.
On a recent hike, the chest strap buckle broke. Without its service, the backpack was no longer able to function adequately on any hike of modest proportions. The break occurred such that I could not simply replace the broken buckle with a new one. The repair would require—at minimum—major stitchwork to be undertaken. Quite possibly, it could not be mended to be as good as new. Considering his (the backpack’s) age, a full recovery seemed unlikely. After all, he is 80 in backpack years.
Still, my love runs so deep that I decided to operate. I made the requisite purchases at REI and sat down on Friday night to perform the operation. First, of course, I made sure to notify friends so as to saturate the procedure in prayer. Then I laid hands on the backpack. Armed with a Swiss army knife, butane lighter, new buckle, clamp, brick, hammer, carabiner, pliers, nailgun, powersaw, superglue, duct tape, cold beer, and determination, I got to work.
Half of the buckle went very smoothly. I broke the old buckle off and finessed the webbing through the new buckle. The other half, however, would require either massive stitching or a clean cut that I hoped to close afterward. I cut the webbing, inserted the new buckled and began to mend the webbing around the buckle. It did not work. I tried for over an hour to reassemble the webbing. I even did a ritual dance. Eventually, I sat on the floor with the backpack in my arms, he breathing his last breaths. If you have never held a backpack in your arms while it is dying, or even seen a backpack’s last breaths, you have missed one of the more poignant moments of humanity (and backpackity).
With a hike at 10,000 feet only eleven hours away, I became desperate. Nevermind that I own maybe a half-dozen other backpack-like-devices. I could not bear to part with him, my EMS 2000. In haste, I concocted a crude method to replace the chest strap altogether that would still ensure proper fit for a hike. The hike would involve carrying crampons, snowshoes, and an ice axe on the outside of the pack, with full winter clothing inside. I knew he would pull through for me. I had undying confidence. He slept beside me throughout the night and I could hear his determined, though raspy, breathing.
Saturday dawned and I drove to Brainerd Lake and began the hike. It was not entirely comfortable, but my work-around proved adequately effective for the occasion. As I switched from boots to snowshoes to crampons during the hike, he performed admirably, bearing his task with aplomb. After miles of wind-blown snow and stunning alpine vistas, I returned to my car in the early afternoon, thankful and overjoyed.
Then, as I was adjusting my snowshoes, I witnessed another blowout in the lower left of the backpack. A quick survey revealed that the injury was severe. I stood back and looked at my backpack.
He was tired. Not from the day at altitude, but from a lifetime of service. He had tears and rips and stains all over him. He had years and miles and stories to tell, but not the energy to withstand them. He sat in the back of my Jeep, hunched over and clinging to my other snowshoe and my crampons. He was faithful but wearied; he was tried, true, but exhausted.
A new backpack was already en route, being shipped by the good folks at REI, but still I stood and tended to his injury like Mel Gibson’s red-haired friend in Braveheart tended to his fatally-wounded father after a battle. I knew it was his time. Yet I stood and contemplated what more I could do. At one point, I heard my backpack audibly say, "Let me go… I’ve lived a good life… I’ve lived long enough to live free… I’ve seen you grow into the man you have become…"
And then his voice trailed off. I donned a black armband and drove back to Boulder with my headlights on.
Please feel free to express your condolences, but please don’t expect an immediate reply. It’s too soon.

Couchsachraga, (must be an Indian word for 'only stupid people hike here' :eek: :D ), destroyed my backpack recently. I did do some serious reclamation, saving all the straps, clips, and the detachable pouch that came with it. You got a lot more use out of yours than I did out of mine! :eek:

Last edited:
Don't be too hard on the new backpack. Give it some time to settle in to your world and all that. It has a some big shoulder straps to fill. That was a sad, but great and touching story...I'm not even kidding too much, I mean, gear becomes pretty special after so many miles and memories. Have you thought about any kind of memorial fund in his honor??? ;)

A very moving story..... it brought me to tears! I will honor the life of your backpack by making a donation to Sierra Trading Post in his name. May his (her???) legacy live on in the memories of the many adventures you two shared!

The least you can do is invite us all to an Irish Wake for your backpack.

You know, there are retirement homes for those with such loyal service called the attic. If it is too emotional for you, let your estate deal with it.

For consolation in these trying times of bereavement consider an offering to St. Stan who I'm certain would be very consoled.

May I express my deepest condolences for your loss. Wives come and go and children grow up and leave the house, yet our backpacks remain true throughout their lives. They are there during our most jubilant achievements and are there to comfort us during our most turbulent times. They are steadfast in their loyalty towards our goals, while others abandon us when the weather turns. A person is truly blessed if he/she can say that they have experienced the joys of having a backpack as a comrade.

Alas, I know the heartbreak that goes with the parting of gear that's tried and true. My expedition pack and three season boots are both nearing retirement. The Asolos will take their place in the auxilary Boot Hall of Fame in my basement. There are a few milestone hikes that they will come out on for a victory lap but, their days are numbered.

To echo what Toe Cozy said, try not to judge the new pack too harshly. It won't be the same as EMS 2000 but, it will have its own merits and as the two of you share experiences together, a bond will form...

My first pack currently is seeing duty next to the treadmill. I still wear him from time to time on the treadmill. He has old papers for weight including a form from the EMS Climbing School when I did a winter hike with them ten years ago.

I can vouche for Lawn Sale's ability to ressurect the presumed dead.

He's like a pack/gear paramedic, a modern day revival healer...dare I say he is...

JE....no I won't do it, for he is the one who can not be named. :p

I too had a backpack that was about 15 years old, and seen lots of places, etc, etc,... I decided to trade her in for a new backpack that was less than half her age and weighed less. Maybe i'm just a coldhearted .....
But my new backpacks(that's right, i picked up more than one) are doing great. We go places my old backpack would have never gone and they are willing to try new things.

if you really need to bring the memories of the old backpack back, there is a place out near Bangor Maine. It is called the backpack cemetary. It is located on an ancient indian burial ground. Bury the pack there, and in a few days it will come back to life. Only more evil, and not w/ the same joy and compassion as before.