Fall Foliage 2024

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTrip

Reaction score
So it is looking like this coming weekend will be my only chance to get to NH for awhile so I want to get up there for my annual foliage trip. I was up there 2 weeks ago and color had started but it was pretty flat and not overly wide spread (was in the Franconia/Zealand area - wetlands had a lot of color but woods were still fairly muted). According to the vistnh.gov page the whole state is in moderate to peak right now. Is that accurate? I know sometimes these sites can be predictive more than actual with their maps and I've found they aren't super accurate versus my actual trips either. (I feel like peakbagger would be replying here that much like ski resort snow reports the foliage reports might be "embellished" to get tourists up there :) )

So anyway, I was hoping to get some "micro" reports from VFTT people who either live up there or get up there a lot so I can get maximum value for my time restrictions. Is there any area in particular in the Whites that is really maxed out right now? Has the color gotten any brighter or is it still flat from the dry conditions? I typically go up the Dry River Wilderness for my foliage hike but I'm feeling like trying another spot. Done that one 4-5 years now I think. Thinking the Maine/NH border might have some good options based on a video I saw earlier in the week.

If anyone can add some first hand data on the foliage status it would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I was just in the Twin Mt area which is supposed to close to peak. I found the colors muted and yellow to orange with very few reds. Granted, I'm not really into foliage, but it's been a few years since I have seen incredible colors, maybe global warming doesn't help foliage. I was always under the impression a hard freeze was needed for bright colors, but who knows.

I was just in the Twin Mt area which is supposed to close to peak. I found the colors muted and yellow to orange with very few reds. Granted, I'm not really into foliage, but it's been a few years since I have seen incredible colors, maybe global warming doesn't help foliage. I was always under the impression a hard freeze was needed for bright colors, but who knows.
Yah most of the places I've been the past few weeks color has been very flat. I think it's the lack of moisture but I really have no clue either. It's been quite warm too which I'm guessing is also a factor. I Google it every year and of course forget what I learned every year. :LOL:

I'm thinking of doing the Algonquin Trail up to Sandwich Dome as an option. Trying to figure out the condition of the road in. TrailsNH just says it is "open" (5/3) and unless I'm missing a bulletin their are no USFS news posts on it (their last bulletin was 7/15). Last trip report going in from that way was 8/25 and road sounded doable but not great. (I see you were out there on 9/7. I went up that way many years ago early in my Winter hiking "career". I remember liking the open ridges on Noon Peak). Not sure if I'm better off coming in from Rte 49 or from the South via Rte 113. Doesn't sound like a lot of people go this way....which I also like. ;)