Family-friendly Catskills hike?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amicus

Reaction score
A non-member friend asked me to recommend a Catskills hike within a two-hours' drive of NYC that he could do in a leisurely fashion with his wife and one-year old (who would be backpacked). Ideally it would be on or near a swimmable lake. Friend and wife are pretty fit.

I don't know the area but said I'd ask. Any suggestions most appreciated - this may be a one-off so I don't think he wants to buy a book.

Can you get to the Catskills in two hours from NYC? I'm thinking CT along the AT or Bear Mtn, NY. (Not sure you could get to Bear in CT under two hours)

My choice would be Bear in NY in summer you the AT, neading north does cross the road & follow it for a bit so time to go is an issue.

(My one time going was on a weekday, early in the AM - got to the top near sunrise in early July & I was at the Jersey shore by 8:00 AM so the road was closed)

I'd also look at some CT State Parks in the Southwest part of the state. I have a friend who does some hiking & geo-caching down there but I have not been personally

The shwangunk preserve just outside of New Paltz offers all of what your looking for.

Nice swimmable lake, miles of carriage paths with views of the surrounding valleys, waterfalls and interesting geography.

The carriage paths are open for hiking and mountainbiking and cross country skiing in the winter. This area is also a haven for rock climbing.

If you do a search on Shwangunk preserve you should get several hits.

Mike P. said:
Can you get to the Catskills in two hours from NYC?
Yes. Kingston is 75 miles from NYC on the Thruway. That's one hour, if all goes well. From there, there are several trail heads that are less than an hour away.

I'd recommend North Lake, a little over 2 hours, but it fits the bill. The Escarpement Trail has great views! Just remember, 23A is still closed, so they will have to go a different route.

bridgeman said:
Correct Spelling Shawangunks

I second this..and possibly recommend purchasing a book called 50 great hikes in the lower husdon Valley...very descriptive and lists MANY hikes of varying levels in the area you are, travel wise, you are looking for.

I also think that the "catskills" are slighlty out of that 2 hr range, but maybe your friends drive faster than I do :D

M

My first recommendation would normally be North-South lake area.

Option 1) Start at the Schutt Rd Parking area just before the entrance to the park. Hike the 1st 5 miles along the Escarpment Trail, ending at the Catskill mountain house site (near the beach area). It is a two mile road walk back to the car. Advantages: great views, little elevation gain, swim at the end of the regular hike, avoid paying day use fee.
Disadvantage: Two mile road walk back to car. Could be too long of a hike carring a child. (There are other trail routes back to the car, but are a few miles longer)

Option 2) Enter the park and drive to the beach area. Start the hike at the same location option #1 ends. Hike either direction as an out and back I recommend going N to Artist Rock, Newman's ledge. Or continue and loop around returning on the Mary's Glen Trail. Advantage: Many Options, Little Elevation Gain, Great Views. easiest Access to swimming.

Option 3) Mary's Glen Trail to North Point. Advantage: Great Views from N. Point. Disadvantage: Steep elevetion gain up to N. Point.

See This website for online trail guide

The main problem with these hikes is the current problem with road travel. See this Thread

I can get to Phoenicia in 1 hour 45 minutes but then I'm west of the hudson. If you are east of the hudson, you have to deal with the river crossings.

I second Tom's suggestion of North Lake, though crowded in the summertime months, you can hike out to North Point which is has many ways to hike there, aka you can do a loop and has nice views. I believe you can swim there without having to camp there so long as you hike in. There is dayhiker parking right outside the gates too for the Escarpment trail.

Jay

Oh, for other places within 2 hours of NYC, you can look at Lake Sebago or Tiorati in Harriman State Park. Bear Mtn State Park, Ringwood State Park in NJ (Shepherd's Pond). Wawayanda State Park in Sussex County.

And if you're looking for some quieter places to swim, perhaps no lifeguard, swim at your own risk places, I know plenty of them. Would certainly be quieter and more peaceful than the places listed above. Hiking would be possible too.

Jay

Well, this may not be 2 hours ...

drive from NYC, but what about Alder Lake? Very family friendly indeed.

I guess I am a slow driver, it always takes me longer then 2 hours to get to the Catskills from NYC.

Just be mindful of driving on 28 or 23 (etc). You will be passing thru speed zones and the police are not shy about handing out speeding tickets.

All good recommendations. A good online source for hikes near metro areas is the Local Hikes website. On that NYC metro page you find descriptions are 106 hikes including many of the hikes mentioned in the prior posts.

I second the recommendation of the 50 Hikes in the Lower Hudson Valley book. Half of the hikes in earlier versions of this book (50 Hikes in the Hudson Valley) were in the Catskills. The current book only has one Catskill hike, although it is an excellent source for hikes in the area close to NYC. If Catskills is important I would recommend Catskill Day Hikes for All Seasons which has many good family hikes. I agree with the Overlook Mt. and North Lake suggestions. Ashokan High Point is another good one, though a bit longer at 8 miles round trip and about 2000' elevation gain.

The Shawangunks offer many good hikes. Some parking areas tend to fill up on nice weekends. The hiking can also be pricey. Minnewaska State Park and Sam's Point Preserve are perhaps the most economical for groups as they charges $7 for per car. The Mohonk Preserve and Mohonk Resort charge by the person.

Last edited:
The city is a big place, according to Rand McNally, 70 miles from NYC to Newburgh & 31 miles from the 87/84 junction to Kingston. Doable under 2 hours but then you have to get to the trailhead.

Gunks would be good spot along with driving a little further to North Lake.

Is there any swimming below Peekamoose falls?

You are probably thinking of Buttermilk Falls along the Peekamoose Road. It is possible to wade and cool off there, but no real swimming.

Not far west on the road, and near the Peekamoose Mountain trailhead is the Peekamoose Blue Hole, (first entry below the map on that webpage). There is a well trod unmarked path from the road to the swimming hole a very short distance east of the Peekamoose trailhead parking area. A great swimming hole. The water can be rather cold.

Mike P. Newburgh and Kingston are ON the thruway... and not really in the high peaks of the catskills. newburgh certainly isn't in the catskills and Kingston is just on the outskirts.

For example, I can get to Kingston in 1 hour 5 minutes (yes I've timed it many times) but to get to Phoenicia which is west of Kingston on Rt 28, it takes 45 minutes. And Phoenicia is just a town, trailheads would be even further. I'm only like 45 minutes from New Paltz exit and about 30 minutes from Newburgh.

People from NYC, such as Woodstrider have even a bigger problem....the Hudson river... Crossing them can be problemsome at rush hour in either direction.

Jay