Father/Daughter team completes 7 summits on Everest

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice!
Man, I wanna be part of that family - does she need another brother? :D

cbcbd said:
Nice!
Man, I wanna be part of that family - does she need another brother? :D
But she only did Kosciuszko... :)

Doug

Note for those not up on the international lists:
Kosciuszko is an easy walk-up in Australia. Many consider Karstenz Pyramid in Indonisa to be the definitive peak in the area. Much harder to both access and climb.

Last edited:
bikehikeskifish said:
Stanford University. She's impressive enough without the seven summits accomplishment, although, quite sadly, not newsworthy. Smart, attractive, motivated... the sky's the limit (or maybe not!)

(http://www.samanthalarson.com/aboutme.htm)

Tim
She is one incredible young woman. What a shame that someone like this is not "newsworthy" yet we are subjected to Anna Nicole and Paris Hilton each and every evening on the news stations.
I like to think of it as Samantha having "touched the sky" most especially on Everest.
I hope she is in a position to inspire other young folks to pursue their dreams. :cool:

DougPaul said:
But she only did Kosciuszko... :)

Doug

Note for those not up on the international lists:
Kosciuszko is an easy walk-up in Australia. Many consider Karstenz Pyramid in Indonisa to be the definitive peak in the area. Much harder to both access and climb.

Thanks DougPaul because I was thinking the same thing but could only come up with _____ Pyramid for the highest peak in Oceania.

On her website she says about Kosciuszko, "This was a day hike at the top of a ski resort, and we made it a family outing: while the three of us donned snow shoes and trudged through white-out conditions, my little sister, Emma, skied on the slopes below. I took the opportunity to break in a new pair of boots—by the end of the day I had acquired some very unpleasant blisters, but I didn’t mind too much, as we spent the evening relaxing in a warm and comfortable ski resort."

Doesn't sound very worthy of a "7 Summit" peak expedition, sounds like hiking up Loon and then hanging at the mountain club for some beers. (Not exactly but you know what I mean.)

Still a great accomplishmentand very impressive, if I were them I'd top it off by doing Carstensz Pyramid anyway. Which I'd imagine they will.

Last edited:
I guess it depends on whether you consider Australia a continent. Back before the dawn of civilization, when I was in grade school, it was. That would make her hike a valid continental summit.

Anyway, she's climbed more difficult peaks and it's still a wonderful accomplishment. Having in mind the risks of high mountaineering (just read Ed Viesturs's excellent book) I wonder at a father who would take one of his adolescent children on such excursions. :confused: I'll take certain risks for myself that I would never subject my kids to, even though they're both stronger hikers than I.

Dangerous and expensive

I agree with you Mad Townie, but, after all, the father was going for a record, so who cares about risk! BTW, the fee for Everest, as quoted on the Mountain Madness web site is a cool $55,000 each for land costs only. Going for this record probably set the father back close to $250,000 or more.

Last edited:
dms said:
I agree with you Mad Townie, but, after all, the father was going for a record, so who cares about risk! BTW, the fee for Everest, as quoted on the Mountain Madness web site is a cool $55,000 each for land costs only. Going for this record probably set the father back close to $250,000 or more.
Yep, my thoughts exactly... even with sponsorships none of these trips are cheap for one, especially 2!
That's why I want in on the family ;)

dms said:
Mt Vinson (Antarctica) is probably the expensive one...

Doug

Vinson

DougPaul said:
Mt Vinson (Antarctica) is probably the expensive one...

Doug

Vinson is virtually a bargain at $30,000 land costs with MM.

Latest posts