feldspar to lake arnold washout?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adk_dib

Reaction score
I was told trail completly obliterated from washout. Guy I saw on trail today said it was waist deep in water. I have a cabin rented in Keene next week and expected to do grey and skylight by this route. Anyone know of this. Should I go by avalanch pass and uphill brook? keep us posted, thanks

Not so bad...

Its not so bad. We were there yesterday. There are bog bridges submerged and we just carefully found our way through it. Trekking poles were very helpful in "testing" the stability of the logs and bridges we walked on. The whole section maybe only slowed us down ten minutes. Not sure why he was waist high in it unless he fell in! :)

Last edited:
it was nearly the same 4 years ago.... i came through there with no issues two weeks ago, you just need to find your own route for about 1/8th of a mile.

If you go to the right around the big washout for 5+ minutes then cut hard left you will be back on trail... or you can walk to the left of the washout with more trouble.

una_dogger said:
... Not sure why he was waist high in it unless he fell in! :)

I wanted to go swimming when I was there

Last edited:
blacklab2020 said:
I just wanted to go swimming when I was there

Was that REALLY you!???

Ha ha....too funny.

Seriously, Adk_dib, if you've got good boots, you can still use the bridges and avoid cutting on the new herdpath. Well, me and HOL are both pretty small -- so maybe that added to our "non sink" factor.

:D

naw. It was too bad it wasnt me though... because i was about to jump in just before my bro and I heard my parents way off trail on the other side of the marsh, coming up the other way...

The water looked soo good... (but decievingly cold for this time of year)

Test the logs before stepping on them, I've seen floating logs in that bog that look like they're the next best thing to step on, then you're up to your waist in water.

LOL I HAVE DONE THAT BEFORE
My 15 year old nephew took a swim on that trail last summer. I had a hard time not laughing. He wasn't too happy, but it was a hot summer day and he recovered quickly.

Heh heh...funny stories!

So, what do you guys think of that trail? From the Avalanche Camp end, its pretty rocky up to Lake Arnold, but the other end is not such a bad trail -- no views but otherwise an easy hike, I felt. Maybe 2.5 hours *tops* end to end??

The veiw of the pass from Tabletop is pretty cool, too. I love it when I've begun to learn an area enough to be able to pick out the basic topography from different perspectives.

:)

I think the condition of the trail is a shame. It's a beautiful pass between Marcy and Colden, and merits a beautiful trail. The last time I went through there one of my companions just got lucky, stepping on one of the booby trapped bridges and making a very quick move to barely avoid a cold swim. It's no problem in the winter, and it's funny in July. In May, June, and August - November, it's just sad.

Last year I got the idea that I could run the floating logs like they do in The Great Outdoor Games on that section of trail. I made it 3/4 of the way. My wife found a way around and was on the other side before I could get my boots off and my socks wrung out. Fortunately it was a warm day. It can be downright treacherous in November with a thin coat of ice and a few inches of snow. :rolleyes:

Went through it yesterday out and back and I don't know how i did it without getting wet? :eek:
I agree, the condition of this section is a shame. I had to poke the logs with my stick to see if they were bobbing. I then had to jump 3 feet and take a chance that log would not move. then I had to walk on a log about 4 inches in diameter without falling in, I met two other hikers on the trail that said they got wet. A young kid would never have gotten through without getting wet. On a cold day that far away from base camp that could be disasterous. On the way back I got across and then lost sight of the trail. there was no way I was going back so I just turned left and bushwacked for 20 feet and luckily found the "trail".

Latest posts