Filters and Non-Use for an extended period of time

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadtripper

Reaction score
Just tried to use my MSR filter for the first time in 12 months. It completely failed to let any substantial water through the device despite some very hard pumping. After about ten minutes I had about 2 ounces of water.

This filter has always worked perfectly in the past. I've only pumped about 200 liters through it over the last 5 years. The package says the filter should last about 2000. It's the MSR MiniWorks EX water filter, and it's from 2006.

Any idea what happened? If you don't use a filter for an extended period of time, can something occur within the filter to clog it? Did an internal part probably corrode? Should I be doing maintenance on this thing every once in a while? Very confused :confused:

Should I be doing maintenance on this thing every once in a while? Very confused :confused:

take it apart and scrub the ceramic filter with scotch brite. scrub it like you mean it and rinse a couple times. reassemble. report. there also are some o-rings, but they shouldn't prevent water flow, just might leak if they need to be replaced.

If you don't use a filter for an extended period of time, can something occur within the filter to clog it?

My assumption is that the pores of the ceramic cartridge might have picked up mold or mildew. How did you store it? Did you air-dry the cartridge separately? Give it any time in a warm oven to help it dry out?

Chip's suggestion is a very good one, it could just be on the outermost layer. Note that any time you scrub the ceramic you should use the sizer ring (on the bottom of the filter) to test. If it can fit around the ceramic cylinder, then you've taken off too much over time and it needs to be replaced.

My assumption is that the pores of the ceramic cartridge might have picked up mold or mildew.

I suppose if it was rode hard and put away wet, it could be mold. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong about the solution, but once you take everything apart you might want to soak it all in a hot water/bleach solution, rinse, repeat. You might have some unwanted foreign matter in the hoses or filter. You might want to bleach the whole thing regardless, if it's been a while.

Oh its been awhile. I've never done maintenance on the thing. I wasn't even aware that you HAD to do maintenance on it. Maybe I should start reading the instruction manuals on gear that has a lot of parts :D.

I'll try taking it apart tonight and see how that goes.

Be careful when you unscrew everthing. You might want to soak the deal whole in hot water for a while to loosen things up. I cracked a filter once aggressively trying to unscrew the unit. And you can buy new filters, but you shouldn't need to.

Cascade Designs says you can boil the ceramic element to kill mold and bacteria.

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/MSR/FAQ/Water-Treatment-and-Hydration (click on "Miniworks EX/WaterWorks Ex" and "I forgot to dry out my filter before putting it away--what should I do now?")

The same URL mentions using bleach to clean out their SweetWater Filter, but not for the *works filters.

And, of course, scrubbing the filter element (as mentioned earlier) may help too. Make sure the hoses etc aren't blocked and the pump is working.

Doug

Last edited:
Doug - thanks for that link. They actually had a lot of good guidelines for general care of a filter, including some tips on how to avoid purchasing their maintenance kid (just use petrojelly instead of their lubrication for the o-rings).

I actually had no idea that you were supposed to take a filter semi-apart and let it air dry for 3-4 days.

Latest posts