finish winter 4k's on zealand 12/23

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hikerfast

Reaction score
I was thinking of killing off the winter 4's on zealand friday. didn't know if anyone else had the day off. maybe i should save it for later, any takers? figure when i do it, zealand is so boring, we could party at zeacliff.

change of plans

i think im going to switch to finishing on new years day. i still wanna hike friday. dont know where yet. anyone have the day off?

hikerfast,

We met up with you as we were on our way back from Zealand last winter (Mar 17). It's too bad you did not get to summit that day as it was a gorgeous day. Though the summit itself is not the most aesthetic place in the woods, some of the views along the way are some of the finest (IMHO) of open woods winter walking that there is in the Whites. The deeper the snow pack, the better your views are going to be on that trail so you may want to think about waiting to have a more pleasing hike. Not that I want to have you postpone your celebration but it is something to think about. I finished up my winter 4Ks on Zealand a few years back on a solo hike late in the season (Mar 19) and I had excellent views of Mt Washington, Clay and Jefferson from the summit of Zealand. If I was available I wouldn't mind tagging along with you as I find the winter Zealand hike to be a sentimental favorite of mine. Best of luck to you and congratulations in advance.

JohnL

thanks john! i remember you. it was a long day, too bad that trail broke out into 5 trails with so many people up there. by the time i found the right one and got to that spur..i figured it was best to turn around. i was making good time too. nice 2 hour ski to the hut. i agree that the views are better later, but it sure sounds like a fun bunch is going out there on new years. i might try to stay at the hut or camp out that weekend if work allows it