Fisherman's Path Blazes?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodstrider

Reaction score
This past weekend I hiked along the East Branch of the Neversink (Catskills) and noticed new and very sporatic home-made type blazes. They were can tops (or bottoms) painted white with red hearts. Anybody know about these?
By the way- if you are sharp eyed you can still see the "original" red paint blazes that the DEC tried to paint over with grey or brown paint.

woodstrider said:
This past weekend I hiked along the East Branch of the Neversink (Catskills) and noticed new and very sporatic home-made type blazes. They were can tops (or bottoms) painted white with red hearts. Anybody know about these?
By the way- if you are sharp eyed you can still see the "original" red paint blazes that the DEC tried to paint over with grey or brown paint.
Here we go again! :eek:

Geez, if you can't follow a stream bed at the bottom of a large valley, and need to add blazes!!! :confused: :confused:

I've seen both the faint red blazes and the can with red hearts on them on the fisherman's path.

Strange enough, I've ran into those cans with red hearts on them not just in the catskills but elsewhere. In fact, I ran into one of them on my hike at Storm King Mt. I have no idea the significance of the red heart... Maybe a serial heart blazer is going around NY!!???!

Jay

Ok...maybe we can get to the bottom of this finally. I don't think they're anything to do with fishermen as I've seen them on the AT in Connecticut and in the S. Taconics. There's a couple going up the east side of Round Mt. on the way to Frissell and one on the same tree as the summit register on Round. Some seem fairly new and they appear to be in random places.
It's interesting to hear of them in other places as I've been wondering what their significance was. I believe Chip's been spotting them too.

Dave