"Fjellfolk" television series from Norway

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sardog1

Reaction score
If it ain't snowin' there, we ain't goin' there.
Some of you have thoughts of going to Norway someday, so I already know you're going to like this. Others will have thoughts of going to Norway after watching this.

The Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation (NRK) just launched a new TV series called "Fjellfolk ('Mountain People')". It's essentially a reality show written for people like VFTT members -- stunning mountain scenery, people who love the mountains, lots of hiking, huts, skiing, mountaineering, the whole nine yards. There will be four episodes and the first one is now available at the link. All it lacks is subtitles. (Maybe NRK will hire me to do the subtitling someday -- I'm sending them a proposal for that. But for now you'll have to just look at the pictures if you don't speak Norwegian.)

If you have trouble watching it, I'm only competent to help with the Mac questions. The rest of you are on our own. ;)

I have an IMAC. It told me to install Silverlight which I did. My computer told my that the install was successful.
I cannot open the vid. ???

Thanks for posting this, it's a very interesting show with beautiful scenery.

Of course I have to guess about what they're saying.

I wonder if this is a permanent link or some sort of promotional link to get viewers to watch on TV.

PS: the site wanted to me to update a Silverlight program but I just cancelled the dialogue box. (I have a Mac Air.)

NRK provides what is probably the widest array of streamed programming among all the broadcasters in the world. You'd be amazed at what's available from them. The link will probably be up for several months or longer, even long after the series runs its course on live broadcasts.

Maddy, I have Flip4Mac WMV Player installed as well as Silverlight, running on Snow Leopard (10.6.8.) I've activated the Flip4Mac options "Play movies automatically" and "Open AVI files". I think Flip4Mac will be required, as it won't run when I disable that. Non-Windows compatibility has been a sore point through the years for NRK viewers who run Mac OS and Linux. (Not least because NRK has done its own production for years using Final Cut Pro. :rolleyes: ) If you're running Lion, I'm afraid I'm not going to be much help. I won't go near that particular cat for a long time, perhaps not until I'm dragged kicking and screaming into the cave ...

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I did install Flip Mac last evening after I posted but I do have Lion 10.5.8 so that might be the issue because I still could not access it. My 3 year tech support contract is not even up and my computer is outdated!!! :eek:

Thanks for the reply. I did install Flip Mac last evening after I posted but I do have Lion 10.5.8 so that might be the issue because I still could not access it. My 3 year tech support contract is not even up and my computer is outdated!!! :eek:

I think it has to do with how NRK is limiting distribution. I'll see if I can find you a solution. More later.

EDIT: i just took a closer look at your post. If your OS is 10.5.8, you're running Leopard, not Lion. Leopard is now two generations old -- Tiger (10.4)>Leopard (10.5)>Snow Leopard (10.6)>Lion (10.7). I suspect that's why you can't see the video. I can heartily recommend the upgrade to Snow Leopard, but stay the #$%! away from Lion if you value any older apps you might have installed.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for the info. I had forgotten which "cat" I have but you cleared up very nicely for me. Will look into upgrading to Snow Leopard! :)