Free F&G Compass/Nav Course

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Seaver

Reaction score
....For those who don't want to risk having to pay the costs of a rescue, Fish and Game is holding a free beginning-level map and compass navigation skills workshop at Owl Brook Hunter Education Center on Saturday, June 16.

Jane Vachon, public affairs officer for Fish and Game, said Tuesday that the workshops are successful skill-building sessions, and useful to all those who participate in outdoor recreation. In the classroom session, participants learn the parts of the compass and how they work, and learn how to read topographical maps. During the outdoor session, participants use their new skills. Space is limited. To reserve a spot, call 536-3954.

Good to see some proactive measures being taken, although I have to wonder how many in the "target group" ( the navigationally clueless?) will actually respond to events like this.

Good to see some proactive measures being taken, although I have to wonder how many in the "target group" ( the navigationally clueless?) will actually respond to events like this.

I agree with the above. While a map and compass are of little value to someone who can't read them (although I have showed people where they were on _their_ map when they didn't know), a class won't solve the problem of those who don't carry them at all :)

Of course they can accept a mere fraction of the population in this class. What the clueless need to do is call F&G after the class is full, then if they get a bill they can claim it's the fault of F&G for refusing to teach them :)

There are other free classes (such as at most orienteering meets) for those who want to learn, they don't help those who don't hear about them and/or just don't go.

Hey, if it gets me on the S&R "Prepared/Took the Class" list, I'd do it.

But then fines are doubled for those who have taken the class and still get rescued. (kind of like those signs that say in effect, you can drive 65mph but fines are now doubled) :)

Jay

It goes back to my theory that $$$$$ is the only thing that speaks, loud and clear!

I would love to take the class. I know some basic compass use but could always learn more.

This is great. I happen to think map and compass skills are BY FAR the most UNDER-rated of the 10 essentials. Even among "experienced" hikers, I know alarmingly few people who are proficient with map and compass; lacking that skill is a tremendous liability, IMO. And I'm not just talking about knowing that the needle points north so that you can figure out approximately which way south, east and west are. I'm talking specifically about 1) being able to use your current location on a map to determine EXACTLY which direction any other given location on the map is, within a couple of degrees; and 2) being able to use two visual geological references to triangulate one's EXACT position on a map.

The AMC has been teaching workshops on these concepts for decades for (nearly) free. It's hard for me to imagine that F&G is going to reach an audience that the AMC does not. And there are two other issues that are difficult to overcome: 1) very few people understand the real value that these skills offer and therefore can't imagine why a workshop would be worth their time; and 2) learning these skills requires real time and mental capacity, and then one must PRACTICE. In contrast, the remaining 10 essentials are easily bought - cheap and instant gratification. Many people therefore see map and compass skills as a comparitively large investment (in terms of time and energy) with little reward. Nothing could be further from the truth.

F&G has the opportunity to bring a little bit of publicity to the value of navigation skills, and if that happens it will be a win for all parties.