Freesledding anyone?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay H

Reaction score
I remember the big hubbub about the Mad River Rocket sleds (made in Vt) and the skibobs here on VfTT... This weekend while at a friend's house, read an article in the NY times about freesledding as done by the folks at Mad River Rocket near the Long Trail at Lincoln Gap:

Thought I'd pass on the pretty cool article...

Unfortunately, the picture that was in the NY Times print article didn't make it online but it was of a guy in a MRR sled about to go over a rocky snowy rockface, presumably to some snow below (it cut off the landing)..

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/18/t...58170bb&ex=1358571600&partn=&pagewanted=print

Jay

The ROCKET is still available. I have one of the originals...20+ years and still Rocketing! when they first came out they had a polk attachment and a cover. Too bad they don't still make one because it makes for a nice rugged lightweight package. I've dragged mine into Chimmney Pond a few times among other places. Not only does it haul gear but makes for a fun toy for base camp amuzement.

skiguy said:
when they first came out they had a polk attachment and a cover.
The new ones don't have a cover but they do have two plugged up holes on the front sides that you could attach something for pulling it. I thought about getting them for that same reason - practical and fun :)

I don't know if they have it anymore, but they had a Mad River Rocket instructional video that shows how to use it and also has a bunch of freeriding footage.

I've used the Hammerhead. You need just the right conditions for them. Real hardpack they have a tendency to skate around and are very hard to steer. In soft or to much powda they sink and the deck grabs in the snow and they basically go nowhere. Basically not very versatile IMO.

MRR are the way to go in the winter months...quick and FUN way down the peaks of the ADK backcountry! I havent been out in the ADacks this winter but we've got a big a$$ kicker built in the sand pits of Boonville. We can get about 30 feet over the gap on the Rocket. Can't wait to head back to the hills! :D

I grew up in Warren (where the MRR was invented) and the MRR is pretty much the only sled I have ever used. Definitely a good time and I have recently gotten into more backcountry sledding where I hike into more remote areas and go for a long hike, then sled back down. The Lincoln gap area mentioned in the article has gotten a little too overdone with local outfitters bringing loads of people up and trashing the snow.

There is a MRR sledding park in works right now, hopefully it will be nice. I haven't had a chance to check out where they are putting it yet, but I am sure it will be worth checking out once it is done.
Info Here

PS a polk setup is a super easy DYI project (PVC?) since there are already pre-drilled holes in the MRRs.