fresh moose pics / let's be careful driving!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestgnome

Reaction score
Thought I'd share a few moose pics from yesterday along the Kancamagus and a gentle reminder to be careful in moose country. This would be the worst possible time to pop a cow moose like this pretty girl. She's pregnant and nursing. If she were killed in this season, her unborn calf(s) would also perrish and her 10-month old would probably not make it. Her calf is still nursing, or at least trying to. Do they still nurse at this age?

mamamoosecalf4-06-07-114a.jpg

mamamoosecalf4-06-07-115a.jpg

mamamoosecalf4-06-07-102a.jpg

mamamooseandcalf4-06-07-109.jpg

Happy Trails :)

Last edited:
forestgnome said:
Do they still nurse at this age?

You're asking us?? :confused: I would think we'd be asking you!

Excellent photos. How do you manage to consistently find and photograph the moose? I occasionally see them skiing at WV (none this year, alas) but you have to get going really early on the outer trails where few, if any, people have been.

Tim

Newfoundland_Moose_Sign.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome pics!

MichaelJ and I saw a moose on the road over Mousilauke last weekend, but didn't get a picture. He appeared to be licking salt off the road??
(the moose that is, not MichaelJ!) :D

forestgnome,

Moose usually wean their young after about 6 months or so. In NH most moose will have babies in late spring or early summer, but sometimes this is as late as late summer or even early fall. My guess is that the young one in your picture is about to be turned away by his mom any time now.

Forestgnome

Thanks for the wonderful pics and the reminder. :)

ecc said:
Can moose conceive if they're nursing?
ecc

Good question. Just a hunch, but the youngster in the picture looks too old to be nursing anyhow...maybe he/she was just trying because the female is starting to produce for the foal she's carrying?

gaiagirl said:
forestgnome,

Moose usually wean their young after about 6 months or so. In NH most moose will have babies in late spring or early summer, but sometimes this is as late as late summer or even early fall. My guess is that the young one in your picture is about to be turned away by his mom any time now.

I think you and Unadogger are right; I think the calf was just unsucessfully trying to nurse, maybe out of habit. She's probably too old for that now, and as Gaiagirl states, she'll be on her own in the near future. Mom is still protecting her from predators, though.

eec, good question. I need to find a good resouce for moose biology that's not scientifically over my head, but more in-depth than most of the stuff I find.

Tim, thanks! It's just being out there alot, combined with good luck! Once you see them you can enhance you viewing by being slow and quiet, avoiding too much eye contact and acting like a browser, not a predator.

Yesterday, while snowshoeing around the area b/w UNH trail and Downes Brook, I found the same two moose. I slowly approached and hung out with them for two hours. It was awesome listening to them munch, and watching them in their habitat.

mmm...striped maple bark
4-07-07-046a.jpg

Eventually mom grew tired and layed down to nap. Then she called her baby with a fairly loud grunt.
4-07-07-075a.jpg

The calf came over and layed down near mama.
4-07-07-080a.jpg

Mama started to snooze. I could hear her breathing get deep and slow.
4-07-07-079a.jpg

This was a great moment. I stayed for a long time watching them nap and listening to the sounds in the forest. Mama's ears turned toward every new sound even though her eyes were closed and her chin was on the ground resting. It was getting dark so I said "good night" and slowly moved away from the area.

Happy Trails :)

Last edited:
Lucky You!

Forestgnome - i would say the name fits! only a forest gnome could be so lucky. I miss seeing wildlife up here in the Daks - you really don't get to see much. I think experiences like you had are meant to be treasured as a rare and wonderful opportunity. Is this place where you hike very far from Albany? I am really hoping to branch out this year and try some other hikes. Enjoyed the pics!

gaiagirl said:
My guess is that the young one in your picture is about to be turned away by his mom any time now.

Yup. and that's when the car v moose accidents will increase.

Amazing pics! And a good reminder on driving, Moose will start getting very active moving around down from the high country and searching for salt along the road to replenish themselves. I saw a huge bull moose last weekend coming home along 118 towards Lebanon along the remote part. I pulled over and sat with the windows down next to him and just listened for about 10 minutes. So cool. -Mattl

NewHampshire said:
Here is a link with some pretty general (but usefull) information that also at least answers the question of weaning:

Moose link

5 months is about when they are weaned off and they are pushed away after a year.

Brian

Great link, thanks much!

Forest Gnome is da moose man!

We bought a picture book by Bill Silliker we found informative on Amazon. We didn't shop too hard and the price was under $20. There's probably others are better. It has a neat picture of moose actually down on front knees licking salt off road. The book also goes into a lot of detail about when the mama cow spurns the yearling and forces it out on its own. Of course with photos etc. Very sad to see, but she's got another one on the way and the yearling has to begin to fend for itself. :( The yearlings are the ones who become confused and probably get themselves into all sorts of trouble. :rolleyes: Silliker says this happens in May. Calves are born late May or early June. The mother needs to be in an area with a good food supply so she nourish herself and the young calf.

Latest posts