Frostbite or Frostnip?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ALGonquin Bob

Reaction score
Camped 2 nights in the Sewards last weekend, where the temps fell to -16F. After 2 nights in a tent and 3 peaks, I noticed some blisters as I hiked out toward Coreys Road on Monday. Turns out I have blisters on 6 finger tips, and all 10 are very tender. :( Frostbite or nip? Anything I can do to speed the recovery? I climbed Winter peaks #36 and 37 last weekend, and was hoping to finish in March. I'll probably cancel my Dix Range hike in 2 weeks, and I'm not sure about the rest of the winter. I did research on line, but was hoping for first "hand" info from other climbers. :cool:

frostbit/frost nip

I got blisters on my fingers a few years ago hiking Giant (10 below at the trail head). The blisters reduced in a few days...but now those fingers get cold more easily and at higher tempperatures than previously. I did get frost nip on the toes (Mt. Baker in the spring) the skin did not blister but turned a pale yellow/dull whiter color and no feeling for a few days afterwards. The skin eventually fell off with the new skin layer returning with no ill affects. But now my feet get cold if I stop moving and every winter hike has the heat packs in the boots.

LavaFalls

Like LavaFalls, my "fingers get cold more easily and at higher temperatures than previously" from getting frost nipped fingers a few times over the years of winter peak bagging, but luckily never to the extent of having blisters. I sense the severe cold and immediately curl my fingers into the palm of my hand inside the mitts until some circulation returns. That combined with just getting moving again to increase body heat works well.

Sounds like chemical had warmers would help too. They are essential for me at this point in life when doing Winter hiking.

Blisters are frostbite. My ex-husband had frostbite twice, once on his little finger and the other time the heel of his foot. However both turned black as coal, as it was severe frostbite. The heel developed the fluid sacs and I won't get into the details of that, not pleasant. The finger almost needed amputation but eventually started healing on it's own. It took a good three months or more for both to peel, heal, new skin.

I had frostbite on my toes, after falling through ice, limped a few days as it hurt to walk. I never had problems with cold feet too much afterwards but always wore boots rated -40 below.

LavaFalls said:
I got blisters on my fingers a few years ago hiking Giant (10 below at the trail head). The blisters reduced in a few days...but now those fingers get cold more easily and at higher tempperatures than previously. I did get frost nip on the toes (Mt. Baker in the spring) the skin did not blister but turned a pale yellow/dull whiter color and no feeling for a few days afterwards. The skin eventually fell off with the new skin layer returning with no ill affects. But now my feet get cold if I stop moving and every winter hike has the heat packs in the boots.

LavaFalls

Frostnip has no lasting effects. If you didn't have feeling for a couple of days and then the skin fell off, it was probably a mild case of frostbite. Frostnip the skin turns white but feeling returns quickly and no permanent damage is done.

Blebs or blisters indicate more severe frostbite where deep tissue has frozen.

I went snowshoeing this weekend with the air at -10 and winds well below. I had to stop and put hand warmers in my boots because my toes were cold becoming numb. At home that evening most of my toes looked fine but were tender to the touch. They were fine the next day but I'm guessing I was frost nip close to frostbite.

Keep an eye on your privates as well. I've had a chapped pecker, maybe mild frost bite from pissin in minus degree temps once and it's not fun when taking a leak.

paul ron said:
Keep an eye on your privates as well. I've had a chapped pecker, maybe mild frost bite from pissin in minus degree temps once and it's not fun when taking a leak.
The cause of this is often wind blowing through one's clothing--it is commonly a runner's or XC skier's injury. One can buy briefs with a wind-proof front. Or just wear more windproof pants.

Doug