Frostbitten for Life

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've learned at Wilderness First Aid courses that frostbite makes the affected body parts more susceptible to subsequent frostbite.

I've had some near frostbite experiences when I knew some of my digits, specifically fingers and toes, were really really cold but I was either too busy or too dumb to pay it much attention. "Some of my digits" sounds a lot like an old accounting term used as a depreciation schedule and in a certain respect it applies to the human anatomy: frostbite does indeed cause a depreciation in the ability to respond to extreme cold. I think it has something to do with damage to blood vessels and how that impairs circulation that brings warmth to the extremities. Likewise, it could contribute to arthritic symptoms. I do know that in cold conditions, my toes can turn all kinds of interesting colors. Won't rival the northern lights but could make for interesting campfire conversation.