Gale River to 13 Falls

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjmcgo

Reaction score
I've always wanted to see 13 Falls and took my wife to hike it from the Kancamagus three weeks ago. But it rained all weekend and she had bronchitis. We had a nice time but no hiking. Now, I have this weekend to myself and I'm thinking of Gale River Trail to Appalachian/Garfield Ridge to Frost Trail to Twin Brook Trail.
Both the Gale River Trail and the Twin Brook Trail look to be fairly moderate climbs until a short, steep area approaching the top of the ridge.
Is this correct? Has anyone made this hike?
I'm thinking of driving up from New York Friday night and hitting the trail before dawn. Is it feasible to make this a day trip, returning to the Gale River parking lot before sunset?

Although 13 Falls is indeed nice (it was nicer when there was a shelter there) I don't think it is worth the approach you have in mind. It is more strenous than you would think and the falls, really just a series of pretty cascades, are less than spectacular. Can't compare with say Nancy Falls/Cascades.

Last edited:
Of course, the wilderness trail/lincoln woods trail is a very easy way to get to 13 falls...

We took the Garfield Trail up over Garfield and over to the Galehead hut last summer. Fairly easy up, took longer than we expected over Garfield Ridge to the hut. The next day we went down Twin Brook to Thirteen Falls and then up the Lincoln Brook Trail to Owl's Head and out to the Lincoln Woods parking lot.

Twin Brook is very easy going down, a nice trail without many people. It wouldn't be so easy coming back up.

Lincoln Brook Trail required a bit more work than I liked, but it was a beautiful trail. Having gone out via Franconia Brook as well, I would highly recommend getting to Thirteen Falls from the south rather than over Garfield Ridge.

I wish the hiker shuttle stopped at Lincoln Woods. If it did, I'd go Gale River Trail, AT, Frost, Twin Brook and either Lincoln Brook or Franconia Brook out to Lincoln Woods. That would make a great walk with swims.
Thanks, everybody, for your help and advice.

I didn't realize that the AMC hiker shuttle didn't stop at Lincoln Woods. Second biggest trailhead parking lot and the shuttle doesn't go there?

I wish the hiker shuttle stopped at Lincoln Woods. If it did, I'd go Gale River Trail, AT, Frost, Twin Brook and either Lincoln Brook or Franconia Brook out to Lincoln Woods.

We left our car at Lincoln Woods and got a ride with Shuttle Connection, 603-745-3140. $39 from Lincoln Woods to the Garfield trailhead, a bit pricey but worth it for the convenience.

I have been to 13 Falls twice

The first time I did the Lincoln Brook-Franconia Brook loop with a side trip to Owls Head

The second time I went Gale River - Twin Brook - Franconia Brook - Garfield Ridge - Gale River which while not a trivial day hike can certainly be done in daylight this time of year with an early start. Add up the guidebook times.

I don't think the falls themselves are worth the walk but the far part of the loop from either end is in about as remote country as you'll find in the Whites.

I like including 13 Falls as a stop en route to Owls Head from Galehead. Would recommend it as a rainy day hike from Galehead Hut as I would make Galehead my base for Owls Head. If weather is inclimate I just shorten my hike. Or could make a triangular hike using Twin Brook to 13 Falls from Galehead, then ascend Garfield via Franconia Brook Trail and back to the hut with the Garfield Ridge Trail (AT).