Garfield After The Storm, 2/26/2011

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
February 26, 2011: Garfield

Trails: Gale River Road, Mt. Garfield Trail, Garfield Ridge Trail

Summits: Mt. Garfield

Hikers: Trail Trotter (Sue), Wendy, Michael, Rick, Dan, and me

Due to the storm that came through the area on Friday with predictions for ten to fourteen inches of heavy-wet snow, we decided to hike something smaller for the day expecting a significant amount of hard work breaking out the trail. We planned to meet at Beaver Brook and then head to Five Corners for the hike – assuming the area at Five Corners was plowed. A little later than planned we left our vehicles at Five Corners and set off for Garfield.

We were the first ones in. The day started with clear sky, no wind, and ~10 degrees. Terrific conditions for a hike. Sue, Wendy, and Dan were feeling the cold and set off a few minutes ahead of Rick, Michael, and me. The snow totals came in around six to eight inches, much less than predicted (there’s a surprise), and it was light and dry (another surprise). The old tracked out area along Gale River Road and the trail were easy to follow. As we hiked along Gale River Road we found the bridge deck on the third and final bridge that was washed out by a storm had been installed. Foot traffic on Gale River Road is a non-issue now. At the summer trailhead for Mt. Garfield Trail we all re-grouped and set off for Mount Garfield.

Sue took the lead followed by Wendy and Dan, and the rest of us. The snow was more a traction problem than anything else. It was deep enough to prevent the snowshoe crampons from biting into the hard surface below. Small slips and slides were frequent. The trail is generally a mild grade all of the way to the junction with Garfield Ridge Trail and the limited traction wasn’t a real problem. Roughly half way to the Garfield Ridge Trail, Rick experienced issues related to an ankle injury and needed to call it a hike. At about the same place two others came up behind us on the trail and passed. They stayed roughly fifty to one hundred yards ahead of us for the remainder of the climb.

High on Mt. Garfield Trail, as we were within ~.5 mile of the junction with Garfield Ridge Trail, we made one of our many stops. There, I could see the treetops moving in the wind and the others commented about wind noise. It was time to get ready for some cooler conditions. Out came a little more protection in the form of masks, balaclavas, warmer mittens, etc. Needing to stay warm, none of our stops were very long and we were soon on our way.

We reached the trails junction as the other pair was leaving on the final .2 mile climb to the summit. We had another short break, and then lifted our televators (we were all on MSRs), and set off for the steep climb. This was the difficult part of the hike. The climb from the trail junction to the summit is only .2 miles but includes ~320 feet in elevation – it’s very steep. With the poor traction and loose snow, climbing this short stretch required a very strong effort. There was a lot of step up and slide back down going on. These conditions burn a huge amount of energy but we all knew this short section was the final climb and only needed to dig in and get through it. Roughly half-way up to the summit we met the other pair on their descent. Evidently, the conditions on the summit were a little uncomfortable.

The final ~50 yards were very windblown and we had good traction. This was a welcomed change. We re-grouped just off the summit in the trees before heading out to the exposed area. This was the last place of shelter we had. When we finally made our way to the summit, the conditions were pretty uncomfortable. The wind was up and there were ice crystals blowing around. We took the time needed for a few summit pictures and headed for the exit. We were probably all thinking about leaving before we actually arrived.

The descent from the summit to the trail junction was a fast one. The loose snow and very limited traction turned the snowshoes into skis. I think there might have been a little butt sliding as well. Once we reached the bottom of the steep section, we made a quick stop for refreshment. Sue pulled out a container of her famous Chocolate-Peanut Butter squares. A couple of those things pack enough energy to get us back out to the trailhead, and well into next week. Happy food at its finest. They’re really good. Thanks Sue.

Now that we all feel pretty happy we set off for the walk back to Five Corners. The reverse hike was all clear sailing with no surprises at all. We managed to make it back to the waiting vehicles and not get hit by any snowmobiles along the way. We completed the hike in book time, which wasn’t bad considering the conditions. Sorry you had to turn back Rick, and I hope your ankle is feeling better.

Thanks to everybody for a fun day in the mountains. It’s always a complete pleasure to hike with Michael and Wendy. Hiking with Dan for the first time was also very enjoyable – hope to see you again on one of our hikes.

Thanks as usual to Sue. End to end it was another fun day in the woods. And, thanks for sharing your vacation time with me.

Pictures will follow.

:D

The ankle is still a little sore, I should have waited another week. Great hiking with the gang again, albeit a short one.

Great TR, sounds like a fun day.

Thanks. Yes, it was a pretty good day on Garfield.

The ankle is still a little sore, I should have waited another week. Great hiking with the gang again, albeit a short one.

It was good to see you again and share a few miles.

Sorry you had to turn around half way up. Hopefully it won't be long before you're back in the game.

Rest up - there are some good ones coming up in March that you might find interesting.

:D