Garfield/Galehead via Gale River Tr on 9/17

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocksnrolls

Reaction score
Phillipston, MA - Avatar: bushwacking off the top
Anyone around Boston want to carpool with me on this trip on Saturday the 17th? So far it looks like Clown will be joining and I've got room for two (maybe three) more in my car.

my plan: Gale River Tr to Garfield Ridge, heading first to Garfield, then back to the Galehead Hut for refuel/rest, bag Galehead and head back to the car via Gale River Tr. Looks to be 15.2 mi, 3820' climb and 10:50 book time from what I can figure. I'd like to hit the trail by 8am at the latest to beat the sunset and still have some time to enjoy the views. So I'd like to hit the highway by 5:30.

Post here or send me a pm if you're interested

Hey i did something like that 2 weeks ago. I went up Garfield Trail, via Garfield Ridge descend from Gale River Tr and then walked the dirt road back to my car at the Garfield Trail head. A GREAT loop hike. Take me less than 8 hr.

I just wanna give you a headup that from Galehead hut to Mt Garfield is quite steep and rough (after the Franconia Brook trail junction).

You may want to consider a loop hike? the dirt road really isn't bad at all (30 min walk) Anyway, have fun!

Thanks for the input. I've thought of that, but I've already been up and back on the Garfield Tr once before, so i thought I'd like to do the longer route the way I described it. I realize the ridge is a tough one (I've read many peoples' complaints about it) but I want to give it a go anyways. :D

The ridge isn't all *that* bad, especially after several days of dry weather. There some rough footing and ups-and-downs, but after all, this is supposed to be hiking, not a walk in the park!

Have fun!

I haven't done Garfield yet, so I'm looking forward to bagging this one. Seeing it from Franconia Ridge last week, it looked impressive. My next overnight will be through the Bonds probably, so I hadn't decided if I was going to try and include Garfield in that and make a loop, or to make a straight shot and skip it, so this will make that hike easier :) .