Garmin 305 Edge?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

una_dogger

Reaction score
This would be my first GPS and I like very much that its a combo heart rate monitor. Thought this would be a good place to mine the collective wisdom!

http://www.gosale.com/4661743/garmin...FQIpFQoduCyR6w

Can anyone offer any input on this model. At this point I have no real experience with GPS's, and would be wanting to make sure this unit would get good satellite reception, as I understand that can be a problem with less powerful units.

Also, I already have a HR monitor, so if this "bundle" package doesn't perform well as a GPS, I may just opt for a better model. However, it may be nice to have a combo unit -- since there is the potential for a stand alone GPS to interfere with my HR monitor. It also looks like it would be a cool addition to my cycling.

Am I making any sense??

I haven't used the Edge but have an avid road cyclist friend who does and loves it, but if you're looking for something more all-around with heart rate monitor, I'd also look at the Garmin Forerunner 305. It's a wristwatch for general outdoor training and logging.
And like any GPS, tree cover will effect how well it picks up a signal.

I have the Forerunner 305. Wondering if the electronics are similar to the Edge? In any case, I'm very happy with mine. Very valuable training tool. You can combine graphs of the HR data, elevation, distance, pace, etc. Here's a couple from the Mt. Washington Road last Saturday I posted on my blog:

http://mainerunner.blogspot.com/2007/06/ran-7.html

Last edited:
The electronics on the Edge are almost identical to the Forerunner, same antenna, same functionality. Main difference: Edge mounts on a bike, Forerunner can be worn as a watch or popped into the optional bike mount. Both 305 models can be used with HRM or the GSC10 Speed/Cadence sensor. I usually recommend the Forerunner 305 to Tri-athletes.

If you're looking at the Edge 305 bundle, I'd actually recommend getting the Forerunner 305, and then getting the GSC10 if you want the Speed/Cadence option.

Keep in mind, that neither model has maps loaded on it, nor do they have the option of loading maps on the unit. You can view your routes on the Training Center software or Motion Based.com or Training Peaks.com, though.

(I work for one of Garmin's distributors...) Good luck!

Last edited:
Can the 305 upload to a PC just as with any other Garmin GPS? I currently use GPS Babel to pull tracks and waypoints from my 60csx into Topo! and Google Earth, and it would be cool if una_dogger could do the same.

MichaelJ said:
Can the 305 upload to a PC just as with any other Garmin GPS? I currently use GPS Babel to pull tracks and waypoints from my 60csx into Topo! and Google Earth, and it would be cool if una_dogger could do the same.

Yep, it does. Another cool program to use with the Garmin is
Sports Tracks, also overlays routes with satellite photos and topos. I'll have to check out Babel.

jbrown said:
Keep in mind, that neither model has maps loaded on it, nor do they have the option of loading maps on the unit. .

(I work for one of Garmin's distributors...) Good luck!

Thanks, JBrown, this may be problematic for me. I was hoping to for a GPS to use in the Daks. I think I would want mappability. Maybe not something as fancy as MichaelJ, though.

Artex, what a cool link! I'm inspired by your fitness level!

Thanks for the supplemental info, Artex. Now I remember hearing about SportTracks from a customer a while back.

I've condsidered getting a Forerunner 205, not for the mapping use on trail, but for the ability to overlay my tracks on one of the Mapping programs and kind of keep track of speed, elevation gain and loss and whatnot. I don't tend to to much off-trail hiking anyway, and when I do, my map and compass skills keep me on course.