Garmin 60CSx minus the maps

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Papa Bear

Reaction score
I'm interested in the Garmin 60CSx primarily for finding things (benchmarks, peaks) and I am impressed by it's better sensitivity (especially under forest cover) than the 60CS that I now have.

But although the map display is pretty, I don't really need the maps in the field. Maps are good for macro orientation but typically when I'm either benchmark hunting or peak bagging (especially bushwhacking) I have already studied the topos available and I know where I am (in a gross sense - say within .1 - .25 mile). So I want waypoints, and routes, but I can wait till I get home to put them on a map. Besides I always carry a paper map (and compass of course) for when the GPS breaks just when I need it. ;)

But feel free to explain why I really, really need the maps that I don't think I need. ;).

Question: is there a 60CSx variant available without the fancy maps? Or with stripped down maps? (Just trying to save some money here).

I see on-line that there is a 60Cx, which I thought might be the answer, but upon reading the specs that looks like the 60CSx without the altimeter.

Thanks in advance.

Papa Bear said:
Question: is there a 60CSx variant available without the fancy maps? Or with stripped down maps? (Just trying to save some money here).
No, but you are free to use it without loading any maps... :)

All of Garmin's hiking GPSes will do waypoints, routes, and tracks.

I see on-line that there is a 60Cx, which I thought might be the answer, but upon reading the specs that looks like the 60CSx without the altimeter.
And without the internal magnetic compass.

I presume that you want a "high sensitivity" (Garmin's term) GPS chipset. (I certainly would...) That limits you to the 60Cx/60CSx/76Cx/76CSx and the eTrex H models. ("x" stands for removable microSD memory card for map storage.) All of these GPSes will display loadable maps. See https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145.

The eTrex H models are generally cheaper, but also have fewer features. In particular, no external antenna, which might be important for you since you are trying to squeeze as much accuracy out of the system as you can. Also, some (all?) of them lack RS-232 ports.

BTW, I have now seen a report on alt.satellite.gps.garmin from someone who owns both a 60CSx and an eTrex Vista HCx and he claims that he gets the same location performance from both. (I don't know how knowledgeable he is.)

If you want the option of an external antenna, then the choice is 60Cx/60CSx/76Cx/76CSx. Any of them will blow your 60CS away. Memory cards are cheap (<US30 for 2GB), so you might as well get one and enjoy the maps too... :)

BTW1: Even if you do not rely heavily on the maps, they make a good error check--after you enter a waypoint, you can see if it is where it should be. Also if your paper map is lost, the GPS map can be used as a backup.

BTW2: I think the rebate on the 60CSx ends Dec 31.

Doug

Last edited:
Ja, just to clarify Doug's excellent information a bit ... the 60csx comes with only the base mapping built in, which means basically major roads. Only if you wanted detailed road maps (routable as well) or topo would you additionally buy the map products, as well as a large enough micro-sd card for your needs to plug into the unit, and load them on.

So a 60csx minus the maps is in fact a 60csx.