Garmin eTrex 30 - how to install maps???

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erugs

Reaction score
This question probably has an easy answer, but I can't figure it out! I've been gifted a Garmin eTrex 30 and have the TOPO US 24K map card to tgo with it. How do I install the map software? Why don't these things come with some instructions? I've downloaded the manual but still can't figure it out. My pc doesn't have the slot for the card, but I've got a card reader that does.

Hand holding needed, I guess.

Do you have a USB cable to connect the GPS to your PC? There might be a way to do it with a card reader, but have never used one myself - only a cable. Here's how I do it -

Load the MapSource software - should be on the Topo US CD. Attach your GPS to your PC, and do a Send or Receive - if the MapSource software finds it, the model name/number will be displayed. Now - here's the slightly tricky part - the maps are divided up into quadrants, and they're displayed when you zoom out to a certain resolution. Once you think you're there, fiddle with the icons along the top row - one of them is a Map Tool. Once you find the Map Tool, move to the upper left are of the section of the map you wish to download, and holding down on the Control key, highlight those quadrants you want to transfer - the high-lighted ones will turn pink. Finally, hit the Send button, and be patient - depending upon the size of the total selection, it might take awhile. Also - if that process seems to work, Save the map selection - it will save you time later on if you want to add or delete quadrants.

Am quite sure transferring the maps will overwrite what already exists in the GPS - at least that's the way it works with my 60CSx.

Last edited:
I've got the GPS connected with the USB cable, and the GPS recognizes that it is connected to the computer. I've got a Garmin two cards (no CD) Topo US 24K Northeast and Topo US 100K Full Coverage and there is no slot in my PC to connect them. The card reader doesn't appear to accept them. I'll check my laptop and see if it has the port for the cards when I get home tonight. The card reader identifies that there is a card with files, but doesn't acknowledge that there is any information on them.

I think I've made progress. I found that the card that came with it actually has a mini card within it, and that slips into a slot underneath the battery compartment. Why didn't they just say so in their "get started" information?

I think I've made progress. I found that the card that came with it actually has a mini card within it, and that slips into a slot underneath the battery compartment. Why didn't they just say so in their "get started" information?
The small card is a microSD card and it goes in the slot under the batteries.

If your maps came on a CD-ROM or DVD, you install the program and data on your PC and then transfer it to the GPS.

If you choose to load maps from your computer, use a fresh microSD card--otherwise you will overwrite the current card.

If you bought locked maps, then you have to deal with locking. (US Topo maps are not locked.)

FWIW, I prefer maps on CD-ROM or DVD--that way I can view them on my computer as well as use them in the GPS.

Doug

Last edited: