Gathering 12 - Eustis 9/18-20 hikes etc.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stan

Reaction score
When I checked with Cathedral Pine Campground I learned it was not quite as expensive as we thought, but by only few dollars a night. Peakbagger has already reserved the group site so all you need to do is check in upon arrival.

We'll be heading up hopefully early enough to hike Friday, maybe the Crockers, followed by dinner at the White Wolf Inn. Hope to connect with others by then.

On Saturday I was thinking of Horns Pond/Bigelows loop but would also consider Kibby Mountain or something else depending on conditions.

On Sunday we're heading to the new Flagstaff Lake Hut for a night and to check out nearby hiking as a base camp for a future Hooligan Hike. If you'd like to extend the weekend call Maine Huts and Trails for reservations: 877 634-8824 or 207 265-2400. With all the bunks available you should be able to get your own bunkroom. I've solicited a group rate and a brief presentation and Q&A at our potluck but have been underwhelmed with the response so far ... time to elevate it. http://www.mainehuts.org/

Last edited:
Pat and I will be heading up Friday morning too. We are staying at the Mountainview in Stratton.

Our hikes will be dictated by Leo's ability. On Friday we'll hike up the slopes of Sugarloaf, as far as he cares to go.

Kibby would be a good one for him, unless you're planning to approach it in some unusual way.

Lounge Lizards?

Will the Lounge Lizards be making a pilgrimage up Mount Reddington?

BoB plans on kayaking- anybody have any suggestions? Preferably close, and a river so no paddling involved...

Not many big rivers close by except for the dammed up one that forms Flagstaff lake. It requires paddling but is worth the effort.

The Dead River (draining Flagstaff Lake) is a classic Class 2-3 whitewater run if you have the skills and equipment. Generally run from Spencer Rips to Forks/West Forks.

The Kennebec (up to Class 4) is also close by.

Doug

I am flexible for a hike destination. If there is anyone who needs Cupsuptic Snow, I may be up for it, otherwise I will probably do a 4 K a bit closer by. I will bring my topo collection just in case.

I'm not going to make it. My Achilles is still a bit tender so I'll try for milder activities closer to home.

Well there were 21 folks who responded to the original poll for Eustis. I plan to be there. Its supposed to be a real nice (but cool) weekend. Spenser has made a commitment to bringing a pile of wood for Saturday night so he is planining to be there at least Saturday evening. Darren long ago made a commitment to be there. Pat and Audrey with guests and a the puppy will be there. Stan and guests will be there. Matts posted he was coming and bringing a big tent. Dr Wu and Do_Truancy are driving up. Mad Townie is a possible (his post wasnt specific). El_bagr and company sounded like a possibility and Neil has posted a couple of times.

I would expect others, as the weather should be good this weekend and some folks are commitment phobic;)

Well there were 21 folks who responded to the original poll for Eustis. I plan to be there. Its supposed to be a real nice (but cool) weekend. Spenser has made a commitment to bringing a pile of wood for Saturday night so he is planining to be there at least Saturday evening. Darren long ago made a commitment to be there. Pat and Audrey with guests and a the puppy will be there. Stan and guests will be there. Matts posted he was coming and bringing a big tent. Dr Wu and Do_Truancy are driving up. Mad Townie is a possible (his post wasnt specific). El_bagr and company sounded like a possibility and Neil has posted a couple of times.

I would expect others, as the weather should be good this weekend and some folks are commitment phobic;)
I can't make it -- couldn't get time off from work and it's just too much driving ~7 hours to justify a weekend trip.

-Dr. Wu

If anyone hasnt left yet who is planning to attend please pick up wood as Spenser's offer of "I'm coming Saturday night and will bring a bunch of clean wood." is no longer valid.

Latest posts